on 9 April 2011
I bought this guidebook with me last summer on a back-packing trip through the Balkans. Montenegro is an outrageously beautiful country that is only going to get more popular as time goes on, especially if it is compared with neighbouring Croatia.
The Rough Guide to Montengro is a short & small guidebook that ideally fitted into my rucksack, but contained every detail that I needed to know during my time in Montenegro.
Maps in the book are excellent and were my principal means of navigating my way around towns such as Podgorica, Budva & Cetinje. Unusually for a guidebook, the public transport section, (trains & buses), was entirely accurate and was as good as having the public timetables. Information on hotel locations & prices were accurate and the hotel descriptions provided made it easy to balance hotel selections on cost, location & luxury category.
I would whole-heartedly recommend this guidebook for all visitors to Montenegro, especially when one reads the reviews for guides to Montenegro published by other companies.
on 5 July 2010
Despite being published in 2009, we found many of the details to be out of date in May_June 2010. The book is good generally, but can not be relied upoon for recommendations of hotels and restaurants.
on 17 June 2012
Much of the information in this guide is now out of date. I would not recommend buying it, as it is misleading in places.
The only thing we found useful were the maps.
on 16 May 2014
Loved Montenegro and thanks to this guide we were able to get so much more out of our trip there. Had a hire car, so with a good map and this guide we explored a lot of the country. At least the roads are not boring - either going up a mountain, round it, down it or through it. A lot of fabulous places to visit and roads to go along, if you want to get it all in a week, then this will help you plan your days out well.
on 14 August 2011
We used this book a lot during 1-week travel to Montenegro. It helped us a lot to spot the places and learn as much we could for them- I would like to have more text on history of the areas.

The problem is that the guide has no pictures, only desciptions and that includes the writers' opinion more on the reader's choices. Also, the maps are following the text, so an extra map was needed in order to move around easier. Finally, the beaches of the country is very dirty and this was an element missing from the guide.

For me, it was a good choice.From what I saw when we were there, this was the best book so to explore the country (the variety actually is rather small for Montenegro).
on 10 June 2013
This provided a lot of good information, but some of it needs updating, particularly the restaurants in Podgorica - we went to find several of the ones recommended, all were closed down so we eventually gave up and found our own.
on 17 October 2011
I bought this book in preparation for a holiday next summer to Montenegro. I started reading the book from the first page and found myself engrossed. There are the normal sections advising where to go and what to see; the maps have enabled me to get an idea of distances between places and the illustrations are excellent. This book has really whetted my appetite and has given me ideas on areas I would like to visit.
The book is pleasing to the eye and well laid out. It is divided into geographical areas with a map at the start of each section. For ease of reading, the important facts are highlighted and colour is used to outline activities.
All in all it's a very easy read and can be enjoyed by anyone who has a passion for travel; equally it will be invaluable as a guide and dictionary once there.
on 24 July 2009
most informitive for forthcoming visit in September. Was surprised with detail and quality of information listed. I feel now well prepared to tackle resturants,road journey's etc. A most enjoyable read Bob Martin
on 23 May 2016
Excellent. We always use the Rough Guides.
on 17 September 2011
We went to Montenegro in September this year. Guide was useful for the places we visited - Budvar, Kota, Sveti Stefan.