TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 March 2003
Some other guidebooks tend to go a bit mad with the colour photographs, and skimp on the information. The Rough Guide majors on information, and has just a couple of small sections of photographs.
For me this is better, and certainly more useful if you want to know which bus goes to Hafnafjörður, for instance. If you want to look at pretty pictures there are other guides.
As always the Rough Guide is the one to get if you're touring around. The various regions of Iceland are described in some detail, with good advice about where to stay if you are driving around.
I've been to Iceland a couple of times. The information in this book seems to tie up pretty well with what I know, so I would be inclined to trust it, on the whole. I wasn't particularly impressed with the pronunciation guide though which seemed to have a couple of errors in it.
The book is well laid out, attractive, easy to follow, has reasonable maps, though not in colour, and is packed with relevant information.
But if you're planning to stay in or around Reykjavik on your trip, most of the book will be of no practical use to you though it may be of interest. If that's the case, I would recommend the excellent pocket-sized Footprint Guide to Reykjavik instead.
on 13 April 2010
I bought this map before my first trip to Iceland, and found it incredibly useful in planning which day trips to take. On a second trip to the North we hired a car, and it was excellent - we could not have seen so much without it. An absolute essential for a trip to the country unless you don't want to leave the capital. It doesn't include detailed mapping of any town or city - but these are readily available in most hotels, tourist information offices etc.

The only downside it that it does not show some of the newest roads through the tunnels in the North, which is why I have given it 4 rather than 5 stars. Otherwise I think this map is absolutely excellent - highly recommended. A colleague borrowed my copy and was equally impressed.
on 3 March 2016
arrived on time and as described. could not ask for more.
on 4 June 2001
A thoroughly well researched book with a valuable insight into the character of the country and its people. As students on a shoestring budget I found their accomodation section second to none (after having compared it to other travels books on the same country!). My friends and I hired a car whilst over there and the directions given in the Rough Guide book were even more accurate than the ones given by some Icelandic maps and, in some cases, even some Icelandic hoteliers - a real life saver. A must buy for all those people who want a hassle free trip to one of the most enjoyable holiday destinations ever!
on 4 August 2001
The Rough Guide is light and easy to carry around. The lay-out is clear with place names emphasised for easy location on the page. The main sections cover each region in turn and everything is relevant and useful. If you need some background information this is met by some well-written articles at the back of the Guide. I found the information remarkably accurate for the situations encountered on my recent visit eg the impromptu appearance of Þóröur Tómasson at the folk museum at Skógar (p114) and the description of the rooms at the Við Tjörnina restaurant in Reykjavík (p67). Although being up-to-date in most respects, there is no mention of the 5 minute shuttle service by air from a coastal airstrip at Bakki to Heimaey on the Westmann Islands. Arriving in a Partenavia P68 is a good way to see the Westmann Islands from the air.
The colour photographs are of the high quality expected of a Rough Guide and serve as an appetiser to the real thing. Don't miss the boat ride on Jökulsárlón.
The language section on p305 is useful but if you are going to attempt to speak Icelandic then try out your pronunciation on a helpful native first. Also check out the appropriateness of the greetings - some are for familiar use only.
Although the Rough Guide lacks the colourful glossy impact and the in-depth articles found in some of its competitors, it scores well on content and value-for-money.
on 31 January 2014
I once bought rough guide to plan my trip to Jamaica and it was great! So I decided to buy it again for my trip to Iceland. It is a great guide book with a lot of information for places to visit. Good information and reviews about accommodation, restaurants from low budget ones to luxurious ones.. I can recommend this book to everyone.
on 5 August 2013
Liked the general layout of the book.
Disappointed with the lack of accommodation listings.
These days a lot of people use a website called "airbnb" to advertise their own private accommodation.
Also, I found more alternative accommodation online, particularly around the south coast, than this book lists.
This is particularly important in areas where there is not much choice.
There are quite a few chalet based accommodations which this book doesn't list.
Another gripe I have is that there is absolute no mention of the famous F208 road from the south to Landmannalaugar.
A road we took with our 4x4, crossing 30 odd fords and passing through an ever changing landscape that is out of this world.
East of Reykjavik is another good stop that is not mentioned: a geothermal power station open to the public that provides a unique inside into this type of power generation.
All in all a book that is good for background reading and gives you a taste of things but do your own research before you go.
44 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 April 2011
We used this map for a cycle trip around Iceland's Route 1, and found it absolutely invaluable. It's printed on waterproof paper and still looked almost new after six weeks of being drenched and crumpled en route. All maps should be made like this! It only loses a star for a couple of minor inaccuracies in the facilities markings (e.g. petrol stations which had subsequently closed or moved).
on 6 March 2002
This guide came out just before I set out to Iceland, and thank G-d for that because I wouldn't know what to do without it. As usual, RGs are the best guides around, beating the competition hands down. (In this case I only found another guide to Iceland and it was very good - Insight to Iceland. It's full of great pictures and has a lot of information, though not as much as the RG).
Almost all of the information you'd need to travel around the country is there. Unfortunately, some of it is completely incorrect. For example, I found it quite disconcerting to be effortlessly driving through some roads that it said would be muddy even in the height of Summer. Or to be paying (much) higher prices for some attractions than stated in the guide.
This guide is good and though not to the RG standard I've been used to, it is still better than the competition. But the authors must do better to fix these minor, obvious, mistakes...
on 30 May 2011
We found this to be a more than adequate map for getting aound the country. Roads are quite well sign posted in Iceland (though away from the main roads the signs tend to be a little small so keep your eyes peeled)so combined with this map you shouldn't get lost. It does not include any detailed maps of Reykjavik (or ay other town), but these are plentiful and free from every tourist office we visited while there.