Customer reviews

on 20 February 2002
We have visited Kenya twice using the Rough Guide both to select safari and resort destinations, and as our "bible" on arrival. The descriptions of the regions, people, scenery, wildlife and accommodation are without equal - we own several other publications on Kenya but none has such detailed and accurate information. The author's deep personal knowledge (and great affection) for Kenya shines through in his observations on the political, social and cultural life of the country and his wry humour always makes it a pleasure to dip into the book while travelling around.
During one of our many breakdowns on safari in August 2001 we were given a lift by a group of ex-pat residents travelling from Nairobi to the Masai Mara. We clambered into their vehicle, our copy of the Rough Guide in hand, and noticed one occupant of the bus clutching the same edition. Our remark that it was good elicited the immediate response "oh, it's definitely the best" - and this from a "local".
We are off to Kenya again in September - any chance of an updated edition?
on 6 July 2010
An excellent map with the added touch of waterproof covering. It is very detailed and often used on road trips round Kenya without getting lost (yet). It is tough and easily withstands a 3 year olds handling. A really good product that should be part of anyone's luggage when visiting Kenya and Northern Tanzania.
on 10 August 2017
Great guide I love it
on 21 April 2014
It contains a lot of info about background as in history of the country, wildlife and environment, type of animals you will see etc and this is all very appreciated. However if you are travelling with an organized safari, it might contain too many details and suggestions for the self -organized traveller. So obviously it is perfect if you are not in an organized tour. The only con I find is that it is a bit hard to navigate. A more detailed index would have helped a lot. Also, after you have it in your hands for a bit, you understand the colour codes but this is not immediate. As for Nairobi, a breakdown in smaller areas would have been useful. When you look for a hotel in Nairobi you would like to know what are the dangerous areas and this is not highlighted in any way. Finally, I would have liked more health advice. However all in all a good guide, in the sense that it helps you get a feel for the different areas. Also, compared to others I have seen, definitely the best. I believe it is simply the case that Kenya is too big and varied to be covered in a reasonable sized book. Probably having more of the info I would have liked would have turned the book into an encyclopedia.
on 24 February 2002
This is pretty much everything a guide book should be; plenty of detail on the mainstream stuff (where to stay and eat in Nairobi, how to organise a safari in the Maasai Mara), but plenty also on the areas off the beaten track. Best of all, the book is unfailingly relevant, avoiding the usual pages of filler on the blindingly obvious. The wealth of background information and the dry, witty style are welcome bonuses. The best recomendation I can give this book is that it quite simply made our holiday much more enjoyable than it would have been.
33 Comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 September 2011
This is an excellent read for anyone travelling to Kenya for the first time as I will be in December. Very good price and extremely informative. At the moment I have found the section on flight information and discount flights the most useful. But overall the whole book is great and now I cannot wait to get on my flight in November and see the beautiful and exciting Kenya.
33 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 August 2010
My daughter has just got back from a month long world challenge visit to Kenya and the book was invaluable. There were 21 of them and quite a number of books but they said rough guide was by far the most useful. She would recommend it to anyone travelling around Kenya.
on 3 August 2011
Most of the book is good (background, descirption of parks etc), but I find it a bit "stuck in the middle". By this I mean, that I find it hard to see who really benefits from this book.

There is many descriptions of 1.000 dollars lodges, a bit on selfdriving and camping, some on mid range etc. But if you are on a totally arrange tour of Kenya, like most, I suppose it deserves more than 3 stars - but I was not.....

Good and helpful, but nothing great for me.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 August 2011
A good guide book, informative and easy to read. This is pretty much everything a guide book should be; plenty of detail on the main stuff (where to stay and eat in Nairobi, how to organise a safari in the Maasai Mara), updated in Nov 2010 so it is pretty well up to date. Reading it before I go Kenya, so it has lived up to my expectations.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 November 2010
I have just returned from my first holiday to the Maasai Mara and Lake Nakuru and this guide accompanied me. The guide contains useful pre trip information and was invaluable whilst there. Our Kenyan born guide commented that the book was very good and asked where I got it from!