Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 December 2008
Have you ever been stymied on what block to use to make a quilt? Do you have a special fabric but no pattern to use? Then 501 ROTARY-CUT QUILT BLOCKS is just the book for you. My guild makes charity quilts and the gals are always looking for a different pattern to use so t his book will get a lot of use by us.

It starts out with a six page explanation on how to use the block patterns and jumps right in with a block called Boy's Nonsense to explain how to read the charts which have several block sizes. This is a nice feature as you can "grow" or "shrink" a quilt to your needs. The charts also have a "try this" line which gives you an alternative colorway suggestion. Cutting variations, tips for specialty blocks, making multiple blocks and calculating yardage is also included in this section.

The next 17 pages are colored pictures of each block in the book. They each show the block name and the page it can be found on. The last 9 pages are the templates needed to create the blocks. The rest of the book shows the charts for making each block. This includes a black and white picture of the block, a block that shows the letter templates used to create the block and an exploded picture of the block which shows you how to assemble it.

I will put this book in my rolling sewing tote so I am sure to have it each time our guild meets. Get one for yourself or buy one for a quilting friend. You or they won't be disappointed.
on 5 August 2012
In my sewing room I have a whole shelf of quilting books, old and new - most of which are pretty to look at but in reality I'm just not inspired enough to do many of the projects. This book is a breath of fresh air, it's not about colour, fabric or basic quilting technique, it does what it says on the tin - 501 different blocks.
I was in between projects, but starting to mentally plan two single quilts for my parents spare room. I couldn't decide where to start, wanted to do some sewing, so decided just to make a couple of practice blocks from this book. Wow! There is so much inspiration, so many designs to chose from. The instructions are fabulous because with each block there is a chart giving you the sizings for anything from a finished 4" to 14" block. I'm now making block after block and will eventually make the quilts from these. I cannot recommend this book highly enough, I think in years to come I will have used this more then any other on my shelves.
review image review image
on 3 October 2009
Fantastic collection of blocks and for a "starter" quilter it is extremely useful to have the block instructions in various sizes.Coloured pictures of blocks give a good idea of fi nished result.
on 27 June 2011
I like this book. It gives you lots of designs and their different sizes. I would say some knowledge of patchwork is necessary. It is not a book from which to learn how to do patchwork.
on 20 November 2013
Like many other sewists I keep a stash of inspirational and technical books alongside my fabric stash in my sewing room. I have found this book to be a great addition as it's not about showing you finished items, just the blocks that can be used in quilting. The imagination part is what we as individuals add.

The blocks are shown very clearly, all 501 of them and you really have to give time and attention to what you can achieve. It also includes diagrams of how the blocks are put together, something that is often tricky to work out but this book takes that mystery away

It has something for everyone, from beginner to expert. Range of block sizes is given for every block with templates for particular items at the back. One point I would make is that you must trace/copy the templates in the back of the book as accuracy is very important in quilting.

This is likely too be a very well used book in my collection and highly recommend it
on 24 May 2014
This is a very good reference book to make an array of different quilt blocks. There are blocks to suit both beginners and advanced quilters. The first few pages explain clearly how to use the block diagrams. I am new to quilting and have found this book easy to use
and love the fact that the first few pages have colour illustrations of the individual blocks to give you inspiration. Each one tells you which page the information is on for that block. The information is then diagram based and tells in which order to prepare the block. A fabulous array of patterns (501 as stated on the cover). Definitely worth buying as you'll never be stuck for ideas.
on 8 September 2012
Judy Hopkins' wonderful book could well be called the Patchworkers' Bible of Blocks. You'll NEVER be stuck for the info you need to create virtually any block you can imagine.
on 14 February 2012
Great book and so easy to understand and already made so many of the blocks the quilt is coming together lovely
on 11 December 2014
Love this book and have use several of the squares in a sampler.
on 23 November 2014
wonderful don't need anything else .