on 13 May 2011
I was so sad when I heard there were to be no more Hawkenlye novels as I think Helewise and Josse are such wonderfully believable characters. But now the story carries on, albeit with the younger members of both families coming to the fore, which unsettled me a little as I wanted to read more about the Abbess and the Knight, but the latter do command a goodly place in the book, thus delighteding my heart. The whole theme of the book, based on the penury and starvation which King John inflicted on his suffering kingdom, is excellently and thrillingly portrayed, but one's heart aches for Joanna's elder son.... Hopefully there will be another book to follow, which will tie up all the loose ends and relieve our minds about the main characters and their problematic situations. Well done, Alys Clare, for listening to your readers and producing more of this series.
on 9 June 2017
Love this author.Would highly recommend reading these books. happy with my purchase
on 1 April 2016
I haven't started to read this book yet BUT, I know I won't be disappointed by this volume of the series. I know not many people read this genre BUT I can never understand why she is not more keenly read.... she is just as good as Michael Jecks and Candace Robb plus others who write about the distant past.
on 2 March 2013
Lays Clare's books are all non put-down-able and this one is equally so. Also a perfectly enjoyable and painless way to learn History. Oh the disappointment when I reached the last page only to find the story didn't end with the book. Oh well, I must get the next one ASAP.
on 15 December 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, as I do all Alys Clare's books and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who enjoys medieval mysteries.
on 26 July 2015
all was as should be As I have not read it yet couldn't comment on it
on 14 December 2014
A good story.
on 4 May 2011
This is an excellent story in the engaging style of the author, Alys Clare. Her characters are believable, and hold you from beginning to end.
on 3 August 2014