Format: Hardcover|Change

on 14 October 2013
"'Coffers' – where organisations of which we disapprove keep their money"

Hutton has cleverly identified the way that newspapers use language (often language never found outside of newspapers) to suit their agenda, and provides an entertaining guide to decoding it. A great book to dive into occasionally, especially when irritated with the media! So always.
on 28 September 2013
I rarely take time out of my day to write a review on amazon but I must say this book is well worth picking up, if not for yourself then as a great stocking filler!

I never really gave much thought into the origin of phrases such as 'mad cow disease' or the fact that the scientific term may be something different.

Also love the fact that the language of journalese is never complete. I constantly find myself coming up with new phrases which I will be sure to pass onto Robert Hutton for volume II.

Get buying people.
on 26 September 2013
Any follower of news is going to instantly resonate with Rob Hutton's brilliant explanation of the language of newspapers.

This is an affectionate book, written by an insider who clearly loves journalism while being highly attuned to its oddities and idiosyncrasies. The result is both illuminating and extremely funny. I laughed out loud on nearly every page.

Highly recommended.
on 14 November 2013
Absolutely fantastic. So so accurate, been waiting ages for a book like this covering something that's irritated me for years.
Brilliant

I certainly wont be jamming any hotlines or launching a foul mouthed tirade!
on 29 October 2013
This is simply the funniest book on journalism I've ever read and every journalist should read it.

If you are a journalist or a media studies student, buy it. If you love a journalist, buy it for them. If neither apply, I think it'll still make you laugh - and probably horrify you in places too.

Hutton has a brilliant ear for the language of news and an insider's knowledge of how newspapers work. So this is not just an exhaustive list of journalists' jargon: every definition is funny because it exposes, in our own words, the arcane or hyperbolic vocab we use to turn something into a story.

The book is divided into lots of short sections covering every part of a paper - from crime to the Royals to sport. This makes it very dippable, although I read it straight through in two sittings, thrilled to recognise my tribal language.

Can't recommend it enough.
VINE VOICEon 26 January 2014
What a great little book - if you are a regular reader of any British newspaper (not just the tabloids) you'll find yourself hooting with laughter at the accuracy of its observations. Well done Rob Hutton; a clever and original idea, beautifully executed.
on 10 October 2013
I cried with laughter at Rob Hutton's best definitions of journalists' words. Romps, Tots and Boffins is very clever and very funny. Enjoy.
on 6 February 2014
A purchased this because of a recommendation from a friend, my friend was very right in the fact that I would enjoy it. I have always been fascinated by some of the odd language we encounter during our day to day lives. Journalists manage to hide some very odd and interesting language in plain sight, this book highlights exactly what they are trying to say.

You will read this book and smirk to yourself (if you have a sense of humour) when you come across much of the language when reading the papers the next day. Well written and a pleasure to read.
on 3 December 2013
Loved this witty,revealing little book. Wish it was longer. This book is not for reading in one go, it would be over and done with in no time. Dip in and out, go back to it, read that bit again. A perfect bog book.

Clever Mr Hutton, lets have another.
on 23 September 2013
Loved this book though daunted at reviewing it in case my recent immersion in Journalese causes the odd word to slip in to my review. But review it I must because I want everyone to read it as it adds such a lot to your daily newspaper read. Unbelievable how many of these words/phrases appear everyday once you start to look for them. Difficult book to read in company e.g. my commute, as I constantly wanted to read whole sections to my fellow commuters! Partly to explain my laughing aloud!

A great read, a great Christmas present (anyone being given this book for Christmas would be flattered that you were letting them in on the secret)and great for the imaginative Scrabble player!