- Hardcover: 264 pages
- Publisher: University of California Press (16 May 2014)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0520279395
- ISBN-13: 978-0520279391
- Product Dimensions: 15.2 x 2.5 x 22.9 cm
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 1,505,360 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
Romantic Anatomies of Performance Hardcover – 16 May 2014
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Davies narrating incidents and tracing connections is full of animation and amusement . . . a master of the anecdote and incident."--Stephen Brown"Times Literary Supplement" (04/03/2015)
From the Inside Flap
This book presents a brilliant cultural history of musical performance in the first half of the nineteenth century. Taking an original approach to the study of virtuosity, Davies uses a rich set of primary sources, both medical and musical, to conjure a new history of the music-making body, of sound and its physical production.
Annette Richards, author of "The Free Fantasia and the Musical Picturesque"
Through a focus on performersor, more specifically, on their voices and handsJames Davies offers a material rethinking of musical romanticism that casts well-known figures such as Chopin, Liszt, and Malibran in a striking new light, along with others much less familiar yet just as central to the preoccupations of the time. In both its rich detail and its overarching themes, this book sets a new standard for writing the cultural history of nineteenth-century music.
Benjamin Walton, author of "Rossini in Restoration Paris: The Sound of Modern Life""
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Film, Television & Music > Music > Classical Music
- Books > Biography > Film, Television & Music > Music > Opera
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Music > Learning to Play, Write & Record Music
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Music > Styles > Classical Music > Biographies
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Music > Styles > Classical Music > Opera
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Music > Styles > Classical Music > Orchestral