on 18 September 2017
A bit drawn out not quite meaty enough i got a bit bored and was glad to Finnish but will read the final part of the trilogy.
on 13 December 2012
Thank you Kevin for another great book. This book took our characters further into the convoluted but cleverly crafted tale that began in Roman I.
I am eagerly awaiting Roman III.

Kevin Ashman never disappoints...I love the skill, the knowledge and the diversity he brings to his books. His characters are so 'real' you are right there loving or hating them, worrying about them and cheering them on.

If you haven't yet read a Kevin Ashman book then do so as soon as possible, you will not be disappointed. Highly recommended.

Oh by the way Kevin......Savages? (*cough*)

Sue Birch :)
on 11 December 2012
If you enjoyed Roman 1, then all you need to know is:
- Imho this book is even better
- It is a true sequel with all the main protagonists from the first
- There is a third book coming out early 2013
- If, like me, your memory isn't as good as it was, I suggest you leaf through Roman 1 before starting this. Your effort will be well repaid.
I actually tried the sample first as coming so soon after Mummies of the Reich; I was concerned that Mr Ashman might be in "churn" mode - how wrong I was, he seems to be in "inspired" mode.
If you haven't read Roman 1, then please read that first. If you need encouragement then just read the Amazon reviews for Roman 1, they convinced me and I found a new favourite author thanks to them. I am an ardent Simon Scarrow fan and frankly used to think that no one could challenge him but Mr Ashman does - don't ask me who is better they are both great writers.
To those who have not read any other books by Mr Ashman, I would just assure you that he is not just a one genre writer. His story telling skills work in many genres and he avoids the trap of formulaic writing. Why not try The Dead Virgins.
I appreciate this review may appear effusive, but it is great to read a long awaited sequel and find it outstrips the first book. The reason this is not an Amazon Verified Purchase is because my Kindle is registered on my wife's account so we can share books and, even better, she pays!
on 7 February 2014
Sometimes real life needs an escape. This series of Kevin Ashman's does just that, the novel picks you up and transports you to a different time and place. Engaging characters and a wonderful story what more can you ask. Definitely looking to the next book now.

Robert Southworth (author)
on 10 February 2017
It's difficult to fault this book. It carries on from the first in the series and brings to life a turbulent period of history. Even if you have read many Roman themed books there is enough here to keep your interest.
on 3 September 2017
The second book in the series and more interesting and exciting to see the progression of the subjects of the story. It all seems it could be historically correct and details of Roman military might probably is. An easy read most enjoyable
Ian J.
on 8 March 2017
Once again KM Ashman presents a fantastic book, how history would have changed if we would have won ,but it forged us into the nation we ate today
on 11 June 2013
What a good book I thoroughly enjoyed it, the author describes the ways of the legion most explicitely with a terrific understanding of the Roman way of life whilst on in the battle mode and when at rest. I have read the first book and could not wait to read the second one, may I say I was not disappointed at all and cant wait for the next instalment in the series. Highly recommended to anyone interested in Roman warfare. D Bowen.
on 31 January 2013
Roman II is even better than the first book. Kevin Ashman has used historical fact to develop characters and situations which are entirely believable, especially the battle scenes. I eagerly await the third book to discover the outcome of Prydain and Cassus' story.
on 22 February 2013
This book was an excellent read I thoroughly enjoyed it and was reluctant to stop reading as I felt as though I was on the edge of my seat totally engrossed in the action and story cannot wait for the third instalment of this saga.Excellent