on 2 March 2015
Well I have to say I am pretty impressed! This tiny little gizmo was pretty much up and running right out of the box! Had to establish a link with my internet and half way through the set up you are given a code to type in via your computer/tablet and I was up and running within 5 mins. Good range of the usual channels, ITV player, Chanel 5 and 4OD plus BBC Iplayer are all included but I mainly bought it because I have a NowTV account and it means I can also access the above together with Netflix. One less box and remote to worry about! Pretty much the same as previous boxes I have had and the picture quality is great. Im not one for game playing on my TV but there are a few nice landscape screen savers and you can link either a credit/debit card or in my case a Paypal account. I like the idea of that more as I would have to transfer money over into the correct bank account so fraud seems a tiny worry! I got the Roku 1 as I couldn't justify the £60 for the Roku 2, if I wanted to spend that I would just get a second Fire TV box. Wish someone would invent a box that did everything! Am getting fed up with which box has what on it! But for £30 you cant go wrong!
on 22 June 2017
Fantastic little device. I recommend this to anyone who wants a smart tv box. Much better than now tv box which I also have as you can add so many more channels
on 31 March 2015
Very pleased with device except the following point:

No Amazon Instant Video channel in the UK :-( Shows on the Roku site but cannot be deployed to a UK device.
on 12 March 2014
Don't buy a ROKU 2 is already outdated! if you have a HDTV and you want the best experience from a Roku. Get the roku 3 it has better apps like 4OD, YouTube and a better version of netflix .

i'm asking myself why i got this? i didn't wanted to play games so i went for this version. (a big mistake. :( )
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 January 2015
Bought specifically to watch Amazon Prime video - but not supported in the UK. This is not mentioned in the advertising material, hence I look at it as a piece of junk and will be returning it.
on 16 February 2014
I bought this for another room after having bought a Roku 3 for our main TV. Didn't need or want the USB side of things on this one so went for the cheaper model. Shame - no 4OD - if I had known that channel availability was different on different models I would have thought twice before buying
33 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 March 2016
I am only giving it 3 out of 5...
I used it for couple of weeks and had to go away and buy google chromecast...but i found roku 1 bit limited...
Roku1 remote doesnt have volume control nor the remote control app you can get on iphone... so you will need both roku1 control and tv remote control...

With chromecast you use apps on your phone like youtube, bbciplayer and can control volume from the phone.. also while you are casting somethig from your phone, you can go to other app on phone use it.
Also chromecast is lot smaller and can be powered by usb port if you have it on the monitor...

It may suit others more so I am giving it three stars but I can't use it anymore.
on 23 December 2013
I decided to purchase the Roku 2 mainly because I needed a replacement streamer for my non-internet enabled TV. Until recently I had a sony streamer which I used to watch Lovefilm and BBC iplayer, however it did not support HD, Netflix or NowTV and had a tendency to drop the network connection which could be quite frustrating. The Roku appealed to me due to its strong band name and support for Netflix, which I'd recently decided to switch to due to the larger contact available and its support of NowTV which I was also interested in trying out.

After having this model for a couple of days I'm happy to say I think i made a good choice, the HD playback is very impressive, no network drop outs as yet, it has a nice easy browsing interface, Netflix and NowTV work very well and there is some support for playing back recordings from your home network. The headphone jack is also a very useful addition as my partner likes to watch different things on his tablet while I'm also watching TV. The box itself is very small and takes up very little space, solid build quality and virtually noiseless as there are no fans. Comes with a nice simple remote and purple headphones.

On the negative side the initial setup is also quite long winded and can take a while as you have to sign up to a Roku account. Despite having some services I consider essential its also important to note the player doesn't support 4OD or ITV player, which if your not interested in signing up to paid accounts will make the Roku much less attractive.

However In the end Im very happy I decided to purchase the Ruko 2 and would definatly recommend.

The good:

Supports Netflix, NowTV, BBC iplayer and Demand 5
Solid wireless streaming
HD Support
Good quality interface
Useful headphone jack in remote

The Bad:
Complex Set-up
No 4OD or ITV player support

UPDATE: 4OD, ITV player, Youtube and BBC Sport are now supported
on 10 May 2015
It's really good at what it does, and it's small and discrete. My only grumble is the start of every youtube video, it takes too long for the overlay to go, making short videos unwatchable.
on 11 May 2015
If you are a hardcore Netflix viewer avoid this bit of kit. Is has an ancient version of the Netflix app on it which doesn't support profiles and just looks extremely dated. Roku/Netflix said themselves that they tried (and failed) running the newest Netflix version but the hardware just wasn't up to the task.
Another reason I bought this was itv player. It works but doesn't remember your place if you quit half way through a video.
Get a Roku 2 or 3 is my advice. I sent this thing back...
If you are a real basic streamer, the price is right I suppose.
33 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse