Customer reviews

on 9 June 2015
I've just finished this challenging novel with tears in my eyes—to my mind one of the greatest accolades I can give: emotional involvement. Just how powerful can one man's mind be?
The book isn't an easy read. It requires thought. However, a weighty subject gives the best reward.
The plot contains technical information, soldiering, politics, betrayal by friends, tender moments, anger and love. The author's presentation of a version of the origin of our species crept up slowly and hit me with a flash of understanding.
Brilliant in concept and written so well that a non-boffin like me can comprehend, this novel makes me want
on 16 February 2015
What a he'll of a 2nd book can't wait for the next one and hoping it's not to long to wait.
on 28 July 2013
The title of my review says it all. I was very impressed by the pacing and the action; it had a good, pure technothriller vibe.I liked the experience of the story, if that makes sense.

There were two nitpicks I had--the characters were sometimes a bit flat, especially the women--who seemed to all exist for Niall's purposes rather than 'on their own'--and I found some of the plot twists predictable. However, that's personal taste, and I don't think other readers will be especially bothered by it. I have to admit that I still haven't figured out the title!

The prose is nice and crisp; it's a very smooth and slick read. I was very engrossed, and even though technothrillers really aren't quite my thing, I can't justify a rating of less than five stars. Recommended; I think this one will appeal to readers of most ages.
on 24 May 2014
Rogue Genesis by Ceri London is an awesome EPIC scifi thriller. First the cover - WOW this cover is so gorgeous it sends out mind waves - READ ME! Second the story - INCREDIBLE beyond mere words to describe. But I'll give it my best shot.
Major Niall Kearey has a strange ability. He can sense danger of any kind which comes in handy for his military ops. But this gets him noticed by the wrong people - covert government types. Niall also slips out of his body when in dangerous situations and travels 1000s of light years across the universe to Astereal, a planet in flux due to seven black holes pulling it apart. When on Astereal he inhabits an alien body to interact and slowly learns this planet is not a dream world. The descriptions of this planet are stunningly breath taking and made this reader sigh.
The author skilfully weaves a complex tale of mind warping, sinister organizations and a man who can exist in two worlds at the same time, two worlds inextricably connected, two worlds he must save along with his family. This reader loved every moment of every page so beautifully written.
But Niall is just a man, not ordinary - but can this terrible burden be resolved or will two planets be destroyed. Read and find out as Niall sorts out what can only be described Dune-like problems on a mega scale.
A FIVE STAR EPIC SCIFI THRILLER and a must read. Highly recommended.(
on 6 June 2015
I sampled Rogue Genesis and I have to admit I was in two minds if it was worth a purchase but I liked the main character of Major Niall Kearey and well once the "real world" takes a back seat and the main character and the reader are thrown into the maelstrom of Astereal the story really comes to life. We are thrown into an imaginative world of high technology and capabilities from a species who through Niall are looking for salvation from their doomed world, trapped within a star system constrained by singularities there is no where to go but this single human being whose capabilities transcend his world may the hold the key to their survival. Niall is gifted, he can send his consciousness into a host body on Astereal and has been aiding them directly while preparing for when a celestial alignment will enable him to harness the energies of the universe to transform this mental connection into a physical one. When it becomes clear Niall is under the scrutiny from the US military, political elements and an age old organisation the blend of thriller, action and suspense ratchets up while weaving in and out of an almost epic scifi tale of desperation as Astereal gets closer to destruction.
It may sound more fantasy than science fiction but Ceri writes the more pure scifi with style and combines the realities of Niall hiding his gift from the US military and his complicated family life into a compelling narrative which never lets up resulting in an excellent story which is well worth anyones time. Rogue Genesis is the first book in the Shimmer in the Dark series and is written as a stand alone, that is also a plus point, it has a most satisfying conclusion and as a bonus if you want to explore more than the second novel Destiny Nexus is on the market.
on 21 March 2015
Major Niall Kearey is an all action hero with an edge, he can sense danger before it happens. By allowing his subconscious to escape into an imaginary world he's known since he was a child, Kearey is able to identify a way out of danger and then act. But then he discovers a shocking truth. The world he's known for so long isn't imaginary but real, and they need his help to save their population before the planet's consumed by a black hole.

If you like your science fiction big, full of action and ideas, then this is the book for you. In Rogue Genesis, Ceri London successfully combines the raw excitement of a military conspiracy thriller with the ideas and scope of a space opera, taking the two separate storylines, one on earth, the other on Astereal, and intelligently drawing them together to a satisfying conclusion.

The two worlds, the dystopian conspiracy on Earth and the collapsing civilisation on Asetreal are very well put together. You cannot help but be pulled along by Kearey as he tries to do what's best for his family, his country, and his friends on another planet. The action scenes are tough and visceral, and there are enough twists and turns to keep

This is a big book and it's unsurprising there are the occasional missteps. At points the action slows as each of the elements are brought into alignment. Sometimes there is too much reliance on the science behind what's happening, making the story more, rather than less confusing. There is also an issue that Major Kearey reaches the peaks of desperation quite early in the story, meaning emotionally he has nowhere else to go, which can be a little draining. However, for the quality of the writing, the scale and ambition of the story, and the sheer breadth of ideas make this a book worth reading. I can't wait to read the next. Recommended.
on 24 September 2014
I purchased this book because the cover was very intriguing. I love science fiction and I was sure that this book was for me, and I was right. Only a third into the novel I found myself pulled into the plot like a magnet. “Rogue Genesis” by Ceri London is an amazing novel very well written and filled with a mixture of emotions, fantasy, thrill, suspense, drama and mystery. A very complex novel that kept me glued to the pages cover to cover.

The story is about a man from earth Niall Kearey, his wife Tami, Dr. Jacqueline Bison, and Uathach. Niall found from a very young age that he had an amazing ability to travel in a blink of an eye from earth to another world at the opposite side of the universe called Astereal. At first he thought it was simply a dream but soon he realized that it was really happening. He lived in two different worlds at the same time, which I found captivating and enthralling.

Astereal is a fantasy world brilliantly created by the author and it is in grave danger. It reminded me a little about superman and his planet Krypton before it was destroyed. The characters are very likable and very believable. London paints a picture of her characters cleverly and the reader can’t help but fall in love with them. Niall’s love and deep pledge to his family is remarkable.

The author did a fantastic job with this book. Niall’s life is very complicated and wonderfully presented by the author. On earth he is working trying to find a connection between supernatural and what is happening around him while keeping his family safe. In Astereal, he is a field general who is trying to transport many aliens to earth before their planet is destroyed.

I am so glad that I decided to buy the book, because I loved getting lost into this astounding plot. I don’t think I have ever read a science fiction book that I enjoyed more than this one, in a very long time. I would recommend this to anyone who in interested in science fiction and would like to read an absolutely fascinating book.
on 10 September 2013
This book provided a wonderful new romp through an age old theory. Full of detail and and different threads, that require some holding to keep the connections, makes for a great read. I feel this is quite suitable for teenagers and might well become very popular among that generation. Just the sort of book I like to read when I want some escapism mixed with thought provoking material. I am interested to see how the characters develop and deepen - challenging to achieve with so many introductions in the first of a series - and where the storyline heads in the books to come. I think film makers could have great fun with this too!
on 26 May 2014
In the beginning your kinda thinking where's the SciFi - then it creeps up and it creeps up and you are totally believing this could happen for real.

Others have already provided a reprise so I'll just say if you love a great story with Sci-Fi magic sparkle then this is it. Reminiscent of Anne MacAffrey who made us believe in Dragons, Ceri London makes us believe in the ability to connect with your mind to other planets and the species who live there.

Can't wait for the sequel(s)
on 7 April 2015
A well written, fast moving book from a new writer. This first book by Ceri London tells a very readable and enthralling story. Driven by forces he does not understand he is propelled from a fulfilling life in the military into the politics and intrigue of the Pentagon and the White House. A new plot, not a rehash of an old story with sufficient Sci-Fi for lovers of that genre, but adding the pace and twists and turns of a classic thriller. Fans of Lee Child will love it. Ceri London amalgamates the genres most successfully with no lulls in the action and an engaging central character. A difficult book to put down and an author to watch out for!