on 25 April 2017
Excellent reference book. Small, handy and well-organized. Words are easy to find. Good quality binding. Does not fall apart or loses pages. A flexicover binding would be a welcome addition to the next edition of this
on 1 May 2017
It's seen better days, but that just means that someone else found it useful before I did.
on 6 September 2010
Needing a new thesaurus I bought this American version. Reviews were positive and it was cheap. A mistake. For a crossword clue I needed a four letter word beginning with k for an avian preditor. I tried "hawk" but there was no entry for it. I tried "falcon",kestral" and "eagle" but again no entries. "Kite" was the obvious answer from my falling - apart Penguin thesaurus. This Princeton volume boasts on the backcover that it contains no obsolete terms. Hard to believe these words are obsolete in America, especially "eagle". Maybe I will just buy an up to date Penguin.
VINE VOICEon 21 October 2010
It wasn't until I opened the package that I realised it was the US version - in US English (a misnomer to me - English should be uniquely English).
on 13 November 2009
The book is fine just as you would expect however, the print is so tiny I even struggle with new reading glasses
on 6 March 2010
I brought this book as a gift for my dad,who is an avid crossword fan.
I wanted to get him the best,and had always heard that Roget's is the best thesaurus available.
He was pleased when he opened it but now he has used it a few times,he is even more pleased.
At this price,it is a steal.
As ever,buying from Amazon,delivery was outstanding..it said 3-5 working days,but arrived in 2,making it in time for his Birthday and covering for my ineptitude.
on 18 December 2012
I was very disappointed to find this book to be small in format but thick for a format of this size. In the case of a novel, which may be read once or twice, this hardly matters but a reference book should withstand constant use without falling apart. The spine is gummed and breaks easily. I foresee that this book has a limited life. Moreover, the text is uncommonly small, making it hard to read. A magnifying glass is practically essential. I think these considerations should be made clear at the point of sale. I use Roget constantly and I see that I shall not get my money's worth. I award two stars for the quality of the contents but for the means of delivery, zilch (blank, diddly-squat, goose egg, hill of beans, insignificancy, nada, naught...)
on 3 February 2011
An excellent little Thesuarus that's made easier to use by its dictionary format. Be warned that the type is rather small, ( it has to be really to keep it a manageable size ), so you'll need good eyesight or some form of magnification.

I bought it for my daughter, to improve her vocabulary and all in all it does the job very well.
on 11 October 2012
Purchased for a 96 year old lady who thought her Scrabble partner might be cheating. I'm not sure if she intends to look up words or throw the book at him - she hates to lose.
on 11 February 2010
My consistent avocation for more than a decade now has been english lexicology (the study of words) and I have built a respectable library of relevant material. After repeated comparative tests and rigorous assessments of each and every one of my resources I have concluded that this book stands out as the most comprehensive,up-to-date, and above all, practical guide in the market. Its competitive advantages are:
- It lists a mind-boggling array of synonyms (spanning the whole semantic spectrum)for each entry and the arrangement is alphabetical and not based on the semantic proximity of each synonym to the entry - making it completely descriptive and not prescriptive.
- It refers every entry to its relevant concept, effectively linking the word to the idea and mirroring the way we actually think!
- The above produces a concept index which captures our world in intuitive conceptual categories.

BY FAR THE BEST BOOK IN ITS CATEGORY