HALL OF FAMETOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 9 November 2012
This is a short whistle stop tour of the 'best' singles of each year from 1949 to 1999. Of course, quite often they are not really the best songs of that year, but perhaps a new style of music or released by a new and innovative record label. Either way, this is a really interesting little book to dip into and the section for each year discusses both the chosen single and other important releases for that year. Personally, I found the sections relating to the fifties, sixties and seventies the most enjoyable (can Blur or the Verve compete with the giants of the Sixties?), but overall this is a fun read with loads of information packed into it. If you enjoy this, you might also like 100 Lost Rock Albums From The 1970s. Both books will bring you lots of musical nostalgia and remind you to go and hunt out those songs you haven't heard in ages.
on 18 September 2013
This brought back a lot of memories for me, reminding me of songs I'd completely forgotten and also prompting me to dig out stuff from before I was born. It's nice and quick and for 0p I can't really see why you shouldn't pick it up if you like music.

The only downside is the slightly patronising tone at times. I guess the book is written for teenagers but even then I'd think it might be a bit heavy handed.
on 19 December 2013
A brilliant little book that will bring back a lot of memories to pop enthusiasts. Some of the songs mentioned within might have been long forgotten, and in this respect they brought back some great memories for me.
VINE VOICEon 11 May 2013
This is a very good read for music lovers like me. It was great to recall those singles that pass you by over the years. If you like music then you will like this.
on 27 May 2013
Some decent songs and well written remarks which were justified - didn't seem detailed enough in some places and too much information in others.
on 14 May 2013
For vinyl junkies like myself this is a pleasant, trivia-laden stroll through four decades of classic pop. A nice read.
on 12 April 2013
As someone who has written a couple of music appreciation/list books 'Hail Hail Rock 'n' Roll: 100 obscure, neglected or forgotten songs of quality....' and 'Just What I Needed: 100 Power Pop Classics', I fully appreciate the idea of this book, which provides background to a single a year from 1949 to 1999. Will be enjoyed by any fan of music who likes to know a little of the background to the music they listen to.
on 20 March 2013
Well, if you must, then just be prepared to come back to Amazon to buy "1001 Songs You Must hear before You Die". Damn, this is addictive stuff! And it has me scrabbling through my dusty vinyls (yes, I still have those) in maudlin nostalgia about the time music and life were inextricably intertwined. Sniff sniff.
on 5 February 2013
If you like music you will love this. Nice little nuggets of information about classic singles from an array of eras. It passed away avery pleasent afternoon for me, and I have filed away some more pop quiz facts for the next pub quiz.
VINE VOICEon 22 April 2013
I enjoyed this all to brief collection of essays on famous songs and the times they were released. Nothing bad to say about it other than I wish it was longer.