Customer reviews

Format: VHS Tape|Change
Price:£9.93+ £2.80 shipping

on 3 April 2015
A full show of dance music and songs and Michael flatly is amazing !
on 7 March 2015
ok
on 15 August 2014
Brilliant
on 23 May 2006
I saw Riverdance live in the UK and this comes no where near what you would expect. It has been very badly edited. If it's a large group of dancers you need to see all of them to get the full effect of group dancing, zooming in on the waist line of one dancer does not do it. Many times when a distance shot was required you found that the view was too close to the dancers to really see what they were doing. Zoom in. Zoom out, Zoom in Zoom out, Zoom in, Zoom out, Oh please will you keep the camera still. I sat through it all hoping it would improve, it did not. A VERY BORING VERSION OF WHAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN AN AMAZING SHOW.
on 4 May 2015
good
on 1 October 2011
I saw the very first public performance of Riverdance at the 1994 Eurovision Song Contest in Dublin, Republic of Ireland. I was an immediate convert and have been an avid fan ever since and own at least 6 of the various Riverdance DVD's currently available.

However, I agree with most of the other reviewers' comments concerning this DVD of the performance at Radio City in New York.

It is not one complete performance of the show at Radio City, it is actually made up of different performances of the show at the Music Hall and the editing is really quite nauseating and will have your head spinning and I am speaking as an avid fan and defender of the show.

This is definitely the worst available performance of the show on DVD, not in terms of bad casting or choreography which is as highly professional and of the highest standards as it always is, but simply in terms of the very poor editing which is very erratic and too focused on individual close-ups instead of showing wider shots of the complete cast and performance on the stage as you would see it if you were actually in the audience.

The only "saving grace/s" are some of the outstanding performances such as the "Tap-off" and the performance of "Lift The Wings" by Morgan Crowley and Katie McMahon which is absolutely outstanding, very moving and is unquestionably the best ever performance of this piece and is the only reason that I purchased this DVD in spite of the poor editing.

The intense emotion, affection and chemistry between Morgan Crowley and Katie McMahon during this song is unmistakably obvious, very real and certainly not solely due to being exceptional actors and it will reach out and "touch your heart" even if you are not the world's biggest Riverdance fan and so in my opinion, this DVD is worth purchasing just for the performance of this song between Crowley and McMahon.
on 13 June 2017
quality made product,will last for a long time I couldn't find another product that with a better quality. Also, I like its price, cheap. good price also I find it very satisfactory It doesn't really work. I can not wait to use.
on 29 January 2005
This video is one of the best I have ever seen. I have had it since 1995 and keep watching it at least 3 times a year. My family, my daughters and grandchildren alike, ask me to put it on as they are mesmerised (as am I) by the timing and endless dancing of the Riverdance group particularly the lead dancers (Michael Flatley and Jean Butler). The combined Irish music and dancing make you have goosepimples when the actual Riverdance begins. I would recommend it to anyone.
on 15 March 2002
I love Riverdance! I saw the stage show in London 6 times. It is the most wonderful, exhilarating experience. I have no doubt that to have been in New York for this performance, amongst an understandably excited crowd, would have been magical. I have all the available recorded versions.
But the camera work/direction on this version is probably the worst of all the versions I now have on film/tape/DVD. It falls into the obvious trap of failing to give the sense of 'scale' - and all too frequently gives head and shoulders/torso shots when the action is so clearly with the feet. In particular, the 'running taps' routines - as with many of the most animated dances - are lost to clumsy editing and poor choice of shots.
Riverdance is an intensely emotional experience that is driven by the animation, energy, skill and expertise of the dancers. The dancers here are no less talented than all the other versions available. But most of that action takes place from the hips down and, gorgeous as Jean Butler is and handsome and passionate as Colin Dunne is, that ain't where it's all happening.
If you are a fan of Riverdance. you'll want to make sure your collection is complete. But you won't be buying this for its technical excellence or because you can appreciate the dance as it should be.
on 30 May 2004
I like "Riverdance" very much, as much for Bill Whelan's marvellous score (which is where "Riverdance" scores over Michael Flatley's "Lord of the Dance") as for the dancing. I also much prefer Colin Dunne, largely because I find ultra-egoist Michael Flatley difficult to take, marvellous dancer that he is. The problem is twofold. First, that dreadful editing, which doesn't allow one to see the dancers at their best. Second is the bizarre chapter divisions on the DVD, which prevents you from cutting to your favourite bit, without having to resort to fast forward. For example, if you want to see the wonderful "Trading taps" routine, one of the show's highlights, you have to wade through the boring, pretentious "Feed their hearts" singalong. Ditto, you have to dig for the dazzling number by the Moscow Folk Ballet (I'm sure these people aren't human, like the rest of us). However, if you can live with these shortcomings, it's wonderfully entertaining.