- Paperback: 240 pages
- Publisher: Dover Publications Inc.; Dover ed edition (1 Feb. 2000)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0486296806
- ISBN-13: 978-0486296807
- Product Dimensions: 13.8 x 1.1 x 21.3 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.2 out of 5 stars See all reviews (4 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 3,251,543 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
From Ritual to Romance Paperback – 1 Feb 2000
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From the Back Cover
Acknowledged by T. S. Eliot as crucial to understanding 'The Waste Land, ' Jessie Weston's book has continued to attract readers interested in ancient religion, myth, and especially Arthurian legend. Here she reinterprets the saga of the Grail by exploring the legend's Gnostic roots.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta) (May include reviews from Early Reviewer Rewards Program)
I was tempted to give one star Miss Weston's book, but no guts; I have settled on two. Here are my reasons:
1. The book needs a major editing. An able editor could free the book from its deadwood and unnecessary repetitions saving perhaps some 50 pages from this Dover edition. The able editor could also apply the rules of sentence and paragraph construction to ease the reader's access to and comprehension of the topic. Although there are some few lines that are clear tot he reader, this virtue cannot be found in any single page.
2. All non-English citations should be translated into English and included in the text or in footnotes. To a reader who does not know those languages the citations are useless..
3. An appendix ought to be provided to include the names of important personages in the book.
The Dover edition itself is flawless: Good paper, good print, and good binding., .
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Mind, Body & Spirit > Mythology > Folklore
- Books > Mind, Body & Spirit > Other Religious & Spiritual Practices > Mysticism
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > History & Criticism > Literary Theory & Movements
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Spirituality > Mysticism
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Anthropology > Customs & Folklore > Folklore
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Anthropology > Social & Cultural
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Sociology