Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 November 2013
I loved Thea's other books. In this one she's obviously decided to try a change of direction and try writing a thriller rather than classic romance. It's I'd probably why it's not getting great reviews as many of their readers, including me, spend the first part of the book frustrated cos the main characters haven't met yet and that's the dynamic that interests us.

I really liked the general plot (alien spirits reincarnating on Earth and searching for their other halves while fighting evil), and the characters are strong and the writing style excellent. However I began to get bored and I think this was because the book lacked the sense of humour that Thea's other books, and most thrillers, have. In the book the author mentions Terminator as having some similar events, and Thea clearly used it as an inspiration. I occurred to me that Terminator avoids being boring, despite being a constant chase, because there's a lot of humour in it. We're amused by the irony of Sarah Connor's situation, by the Terminators dodgy accent and lines and by the wise beyond his years flawed child hero. If Thea plans to stick with thrillers she'll need to find a way to put some humour back in.

Anyway this book passed the time but I'd rather have read something else and probably won't read the next in this series.
on 11 April 2013
REVIEW: Have you ever wondered about reincarnation? Did you ever have a sense of déjà vu?

Well, that is how our heroine has felt most of her life. Mary's dreams, both asleep and awake, take her to places that feel familiar and dark. But her dreams become reality when the voice in her head, tells her to run and run fast. Evil is waiting for Mary and soon the disembodied voice will be her only companion until a handsome stranger reveals that Mary is dying and her psychic spirit is a beacon for those hoping to destroy their kind.

Michael has been searching for his mate for over nine hundred years. Without his mate, he is only half of a whole; the other half to his soul is missing. When he finally locates the one, it will take some convincing on his part to prove to Mary that love truly transcends the centuries. As Mary's memories return so too does the Deceiver-the darkness that threatens to destroy everyone and everything that Mary loves. Fighting as a team, Mary and Michael will join together in an attempt to thwart what evil has in store.

Michael and Mary's relationship is slow to build. In fact, a good portion of the book is spent following Mary as she pursues the voice in her mind. Michael's storyline introduces much of the background information regarding the premise of the story and more is revealed when Michael finally convinces Mary that they have always belonged together and together they would destroy the Deceiver. I like that Mary did not accept Michael at face value and wasn't willing to jump into bed, but then again, neither was Michael-the man knew that his mate needed time to understand the reality of their situation. I also liked that Thea did not drag out the angst and anxiety between the couple. It was a given that Mary and Michael belonged together so why prolong the inevitable book after book.

Thea Harrison has written a fascinating and amazingly detailed introductory storyline that spans the ages with well-developed yet vulnerable characters and richly detailed worlds. From ancient civilizations to current day native culture and rituals, Thea blends fantasy with science fiction, suspense with hope, hatred with love.

see all of my reviews at : thereadingcafe(dot)com
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 November 2013
I'm a huge fan of this author's "Elder Races" and thought that I would find this series as entertaining. Yet despite the interesting ideas, intriguing characters and overall fairly steady pace, it didn't grab me as much.

There is reincarnation, a centuries old alien battle and the protagonists' duty to be reborn and relearn their more than human skills to hunt and destroy their enemy The Deceiver. Mary proves a likeable enough heroine but she lacked the gutsiness I prefer in a leading lady. Both she and her love interest Michael are fairly well developed, but I wish that more had been uncovered of their past lives together and the battles they faced. At the start of this book Mary and Michael spend a lot of time running away from danger, so it takes a while before each has an opportunity to shine and reveal their abilities.

Perhaps if I hadn't read TH's "Elder Races" series first, I would have rated this book higher. Unfortunately though I found it wasn't as compelling or as engaging a read as the aforementioned series. 3½ stars
on 7 April 2013
I was looking forward to a new book by this excellent writer, but this was an exercise in frustration. The heroine was the wimpiest and waffling of women, the kind that is dressed up in combat clothing and five inch heels, worrying about her hair. Stumbling and clutching at the sexy/strong armed to his teeth hero, at the same time as both of them are thinking more of having sex than surviving. The story line is depressing and, I'm afraid, will be followed by a series of books about fighting the invincible evil against impossible odds with a cliffhanger end in each of them. The escalating horrible ways of killing innocent bystanders are also just depressing.
on 24 April 2013
Enjoyed the book but very different from her others, more serious, lovely romance, but sad in parts. Worth a read and gave it 4 starts, but be aare not at all similar to other books she has written.
on 21 May 2013
I eagerly awaited the new series from Thea Harrison having read her "Elder Races" and as soon as the book was available on kindle I bought it but it was not anything like I expected. With the "Elder Races" I could not put the book down and eagerly awaited for the next one to be published but with this one I struggled to finish it and will not be buying anymore of this series.
on 9 May 2013
I am a big fan of Thea Harrison, however this is 1 book I could not even finish....I found story over hard to get into and the could not make myself care about was happening to the main characters. there was very little romance and the main storyline was not very believable. I would suggest overlook this one completely and reread some of the authors earlier works.
on 9 June 2013
I enjoyed Thea Harrison's other books and bought this one as soon as it was published.It is very slow, the main character seems to move from terror to more terror and the relationship between her and Michael seemed forced. the book does not hang together the good versus evil over contrived.I did not care about them and there was too much like her first novel,girl on the run, not sure about the male who she helps to save! i will not rush to read the second one.Rising Darkness: Number 1 in series (Game of Shadows)
on 24 September 2013
Like other readers I wait eagerly for a new Thea Harrison book. What a disappointment. After trying a couple of times, to continue to read I just gave up.
I know a new series has to grow on you, but unlike the elder series which was an immediate success with me this new book was one I could not persevere with. I will not be purchasing anymore. Sad but it just had no flair. Come on more Mercy Thompson and Charles and Anna.GREAT BOOKS.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 June 2013
I am a huge fan of the Elder Race series and eagerly anticipated this new series but I am really struggling to get into it.

Normally I can't put Thea Harrison's books down. I have read and re-read the Elder Race series many times but this new series has me at odds. I really want to like it because I admire her work generally but it isn't working for me.