on 30 March 2013
A helpful and interesting guide to CPS which will become increasingly in demand, I think, as more companies take a better look at how they manage their systems.
on 8 June 2009
I bought this book at the NEC Safety and Health Expo in Birmingham (May 09), and after starting reading it yesterday evening, have finished it today. It really is that good (and easy) a read. The CSR theme has been around for decades, but I (and I cannot be the only one) have previously been utterly confused by it. Instead, Do the Right Thing was unlike any other book I have seen on the subject - it really is a refreshing new take, and logically presented in ten chapters.

I quickly forgot the baffling jargon and complicated theories of CSR - Do the Right Thing helped me to understand how to really improve my organisation's environmental management, sustainability, health and safety and trading ethics. It provides lots of case studies, with straightforward guidance and over 100 tips and practical actions. I'd suggest that most other readers would understand the basics, recognise the benefits, and be ready to put the principles into practice - as I now do - from day one.

As we all know, stakeholders are becoming increasingly aware of the need for CSR. Issues such as environmental protection, climate change, human rights and organisations' impact on the community are organisational risks that can no longer be ignored. The gravity of these issues is clarified with dozens of well-presented quotations made by a world of individuals - from President Barak Obama to Superman; and from Arthur C Clarke to Jeremy Clarkson!

'Do the Right Thing' includes a ready-made information network, links to downloadable copyright-free resources, and twenty 'Test your thinking' exercises to stretch your working knowledge.

I'd call it a `must read' for health and safety, environmental, quality, human resources, risk and insurance managers or for anyone in a senior management role in a commercial, public, charity or voluntary organisation. Do the Right Thing, and go book shopping soon!