Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£12.99|
Save £7.20 (55%)
Rifles: Six Years with Wellington's Legendary Sharpshooters Kindle Edition
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
The officer who hid in his tent to avoid a battle gets his due, so does the sergeant who got himself a comfy job in the hospital store room to avoid fighting. At the same time the guys who fought the French again and again - desperate not to let their regiment down despite suffering terrible conditions get the praise they deserve. In other words the 95th can at last be judged as real men rather than the two dimensional heroes of previous books.
Urban flags up the stories of several soldiers and officers to show what kind of people they were, where they came from, what their hopes and fears were. He shows also how the cameraderie between officers and men came to blow away the class system - with men of the Rifles themselves using the term 'Band of Brothers' that is now so familiar to us.
There are plenty of battle scenes and as many villains seem to wear British uniform as French. It really is an eye-opener, especially if you've read a bit about the Rifles before.
My only criticisms: not enough maps and it could have been longer - quite a few soldiers who you want to know more about but just get walk on parts.
This is not a campaign history of the Peninsular war, although there is plenty of information on the subject, nor is it a regimental history of the 95th; it is more a personal history of the men of the 1st battalion of that unit that followed Wellington from Talavera to Waterloo. It focuses not only on their experiences in battle, be it in small skirmishes, large set piece battles or the storming of a breach but also on the day to day lives of the soldiers covering such topics as food, shelter, desertion, advancement, money and entertainment. All in all a great book and well worth a read for anyone wishing to find the true Richard Sharpes of Wellington's army.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
A brilliant and critical account of the campaigns of the 95th Rifles. Forget Sharpe - this is the real deal and all the more affecting for that. Read morePublished 8 days ago
A classic tale of a soldier in the Rifle Battalions in the Peninsular war and on to Waterloo. Gives a frank and often very full commentary on the officers and rankers, their lives,... Read morePublished 10 days ago by Robert L. Watson
Great companion to the Sharpe novels. Well written and accessible history of the Riflemen. You can almost read it as a novel, because the various characters are so well drawn.Published 4 months ago by Ian Bertram
well packaged and delivered on time. great book. and good value.Published 6 months ago by david orr
This is an excellent account of the rifle brigade's time in the Peninsula War.
If you followed the exploits of Bernard Cornwall's Sharpe and want to get an actual feel for... Read more
Nothing like sharpe as it says, just a collection off stories. the notes of where the stories come from, take up half the book.Published 9 months ago by Alan Breeze
As a Sharpe fan,I love the 95th rifles, the first sensible use of men and rifles,
a very good book
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > Biography > War & Espionage > Special Forces
- Books > Biography > War & Espionage > World War I
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > World War I 1914-1918
- Books > History > Europe > World War I 1914-1918
- Books > History > Military History > Armed Forces > Special & Elite Forces
- Books > History > Military History > Military Life & Institutions
- Books > History > Military History > World War I
- Books > History > World History > World War I 1914-1918
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Historical > Military & Wars > World War I
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Leaders & Notable People
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Professionals & Academics
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Military