- Enjoy £1.00 credit to spend on movies or TV on Amazon Video when you purchase a DVD or Blu-ray offered by Amazon.co.uk. A maximum of 1 credit per customer applies. UK customers only. Offer ends at 23:59 GMT on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
Richard Wagner / Roman Brogli-Sacher / Various - Der Ring der Nibelungen (7DVD)
Get £1 Off Amazon Video*
|Price:||£95.99 & FREE Delivery in the UK. Details|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Roman Brogli-Sacher leads the Lübeck Philharmonic Orchestra in this performance of Wagner's epic opera, staged by Anthony Pilavachi.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
This is a modern dress production which seeks to reflect the cultural influences the Ring has had since its first performance. This is of particular relevance to Thomas Mann who spent his formative years in Lubeck and who was profoundly influenced by Wagner. The information booklet points out the parallels between the Ring and Mann's novel Buddenbrooks,(which concerns the downfall of a great family and begins with the building of a new house), in Siegfried particular use is made of The Magic Mountain, (set in a sanatorium, where Mann uses disease as a symbol for a sick society which was Germany in the aftermath of WW1). The most infamous historical figure influenced by Wagner is of course 'You Know Who' , inevitably he also gets a look in, fortunately this is not overdone.
This is a very human Ring which downplays the mythical elements, with giants , dwarves etc played as normal people The special effects are limited in scope and scale, during transformation scenes the camera tends to show the orchestra, presumably because there is little happening on stage.Read more ›
I thoroughly recommend this Ring above all others: it may not have the 'stars', but this is a plus point in this ensemble marathon. It is just SO enjoyable - no reservations! BUY IT!!!(and wallow!)
Booklet notes/subtitles in English(rather archaic!) for those whose German(like mine!) is suspect!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Great production, very good price on Amazon, glad I have got it, very much recommended!Published 24 months ago by Terich