on 2 October 2010
This speaker is indeed small and light. The sound quality is good, impressive for it's size, and gives extremely good volume, I'm happy with volume setting 2 when I'm at the laptop. The clips have rubber facings, so give good grip and don't scratch the cover, it's very secure indeed. Mine's black and matches my laptop perfectly. It's unintrusive, very neat. It plugged in and worked straight away on Windows 7.
on 10 September 2010
I deliver training to classes of up to 20 people and occasionally need to connect to speakers to play a DVD. As I have to carry all my training material to the venue and also travel overseas I needed a lighter, smaller alternative to the traditional PC speakers with their own power supply.

This speaker bar is easy to install, just insert the USB connection (no other cable needed) and 30 seconds later it is working. The volume achieved through the speaker bar is ideal for my situation and I will probably need to turn the volume down via the laptop so that delegates don't jump out of their skins. The quality of sound at full volume was fine for educational DVDs, I don't know if it would be suitable for playing music at full volume.

I am amazed at how slim and how light the bar is considering the volume generated. It slots into my laptop rucksack to the side of where I store folders and is protected by a drawstring bag. The model I received is bright pink - I don't know if there is a choice of colours but I bet I won't leave it anywhere by accident. The screen clips work but are designed to face the user - not the audience. I will place mine on the table facing the audience so that's not a problem.
11 comment| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 24 March 2011
My wife's laptop has the usual "poor" speakers and watching iPlayer or listening to Woman's Hour or the afternoon play was just plain difficult unless you sat next to the laptop.
There are loads of speakers out there and I used the Amazon reviews to help me choose this Ricco bar speaker.
Why? It clips onto the lid of the lappy and it only need a USB cable (supplied) to make it work - so it would be compact and easy to use.
Any good? YES.
It does exactly what she wants - clearer, crisper, louder and audible over the kettle boiling (have you noticed how loud some kettles are!).
Its neat, loud enough, stylish, cheap, works instantly with Windows 7 and with free delivery from good old Amazon.
The earlier reviews were mostly accurate and very helpful.
For the money this is a very good piece of kit.
Would I use one - NO! Why not? I listen to music on a desktop with 50 watts of stereo audio and a 100watt sub for the bottom end - USB speaker bar - horses for courses
on 6 August 2011
Arrived quickly and when removed from package looked the part and felt nice and solid,
plugged it in and fitted it very neatly onto lid of laptop (clips) within seconds it was up and running ,good sound for normal use ,watching films etc,ok with music though would have liked some more control ie bass and treble but was happy with what i had,sadly within two weeks it failed,sent back to amazon and given refund.
This has not put me off and i will probably purchase another.Only reason for 3 star is because of its failure but if this is just a one off then it would have had a 4 star
on 23 July 2012
This little speaker is ideal for your laptop, clips neatly and unobtrusively on top of your screen. You just clip it on, plug in the USB and away you go. The sound is great for such a small speaker. I watch a lot of films and TV on my laptop and the built in speakers were not really up to the job. This little product is the ideal solution. Much better than bulky speakers either side of your laptop with cables trailing all over the place. 5 stars.
on 20 January 2011
I haven't had working internal speakers for my travelling laptop for more than two years, so when I'm away without speakers, I don't particularly enjoy wearing ear buds. This speaker is both light and practical and can fit in any decent laptop bag, plus it comes with its own protective drawstring bag. It's pretty simple to clip onto the laptop (although no instructions are provided on how to do so) and actually looks pretty good as well.

In terms of sound, the speaker is great for its size and price (£17 at time of writing). There's little bass, but you wouldn't expect any. It's slightly tinny, but you wouldn't expect miracles from such a small device. The maximum volume is extremely impressive, and a major selling point for those wanting to use the speaker as part of a presentation.

Basically, if you're after a portable speaker that does everything one could expect on the move, buy this one. You won't regret it!
on 18 December 2010
just received this in two days, remarkable considering delivery delays due to weather, read reviews and they are all true. excellent sound quality for size. no distortion on full volume. tweaked my laptop settings to theatre and listening to media player and dvd, could,nt fault the speaker. volume easily fills a room and beyond. small, light,its own bag to keep it in and free delivery. just get one.
on 17 January 2014
Had one of these for a while and sound quality was pretty good. Not great for filling a room but OK for podcasts, music etc in the kitchen, and better than built-in laptop speakers. Very convenient because no separate audio jack, just one connection, so very tidy to take with me when travelling. Cable basically broke at point where it enters body so I replaced with a new one of the same.

New one is AWFUL! Sound quality is dire by comparison to old one, really tinny and when turned up louder it gets really hollow. Tried various software adjustments and not much improved.
Looking through the front grille the speaker drivers look slightly different. I don't know what they changed, but it was a bad move.

My previous four stars now reduced to 1. Don't waste your money.
on 3 October 2011
The speaker is perfectly sized for a small office desk, sits happily in front of the monitor (ours is an old flat screen monitor and is too wide for the clips to attach it to the top). The only downside is the fairly short cable. ideal length for a lap-top, but too short for a desk-top.
on 15 May 2012
I recently purchased a TOSHIBA laptop that, although stuffed to the gills with all manner of useful features, had one terrible flaw; the worst sound I have ever heard emanate from a laptop in my life. I was actually advised by a workmate to take it back. However, I had already set it up by then and couldn't really be bothered. I scoped AMAZON for a nice, neat speaker system that I hoped would solve the problem and came across this little beauty.

It arrived two days after I ordered it and I plugged it in, honestly, not expecting much. It runs through a sole USB connection that installed the driver software into my computer with no problems and it was up and running in less than a minute. The difference in the audio to that from my TOSHIBA was like night and day.

The sound quality is amazing! High and mid-range frequencies are crisp and clear and the bass, although not Earth shattering, is more than adequate when you consider how small these speakers are. Volume seems to be limited only by the source. In fact, these speakers amplify source audio so well, it's advisable to keep them turned down before playing a video or listening to music just in case you blow them out.

This is an excellent product that I recommend highly.