on 30 December 2015
My firm advice would be if you haven’t yet had the pleasure of reading the rest of the series, whatever you do, don’t start with Rex Regis, but go back and start at the beginning with the first book, Imager which I’ve reviewed here. That said, I have to say, I was conscious of floundering for a few pages before I snapped back into the world. There are only a handful of authors who I trust sufficiently to shrug my shoulders and put up with it, knowing it would soon sort itself out – and Modesitt is one of them. Fortunately, my instincts paid off. Once I picked up the threads of the story and recalled who had done what to whom, I was right back in this richly depicted world, very much caring for Quaeryt and Velora. Because Modesitt writes happily married couples without lapsing into sentimentality or having them jump into bed every five minutes to prove their love is the real deal – which is refreshing in a genre where long-term coupledom doesn’t tend to feature all that often, anyway.

However, if you’re looking for a foot-to-the-floor adrenaline fuelled roller-coaster, then this isn’t it. What Modesitt offers is a steady accumulation of daily routines with the background sense of wrongness gradually building up until the crisis washes across our protagonists. And because I have got to know their foibles and what they like best for breakfast, it matters to me what happens to them and whether they walk away unscathed or not. Particularly as in the past, they haven’t…

So, does this book measure up to the rest of the series, which I’ve thoroughly enjoyed? Oh yes. I love the character progression, wherein Quaeryt is a whole lot less hot-tempered and impetuous than he used to be. However his maturity and confidence has been bought at a terrible price. Which is another aspect I really enjoy about these characters – as they emerge from a series of life-changing adventures, they are different. Once more, a cracking addition to an excellent adventure.
on 2 February 2014
This looks as though it may be the last of the novels about the career of Quaeryt, introduced in the novel "Scholar". The 5-book saga describes the conflicts leading up to the formation of the land of Solidar and the founding of the Imagers' College there. It forms a prequel to the 3 books centering on the imager Rhennthyl. At the opening of the book, the individual countries that make up Solidar have been largely conquered, and "Rex Regis" deals with their consolidation into a unified whole. Doing this requires Quaeryt to do a lot of i-dotting and t-crossing, unpromising material which the author succeeds in making interesting. The only serious action in the book arises from the decision of a couple of commanders of the conquering army to go fishing in troubled waters. Although I do not wish to spoil, part of the action here involves the <i>literal</i> appearance of a Deus ex machina, and I would have much preferred to see a more mundane solution. Possibly I have misunderstood what the author intended to imply, and it didn't ruin the book for me, but it did knock one star off the rating I would otherwise have given it.
on 8 May 2015
After the previous book in this series this is a big improvement but there are still things I do not like. I don't think it was necessary to tell us so many times that dispatches had not been received and it grates on me how the main character and his consort are always calling each dearest. My main gripe though is how the problem with the enemy imagers is resolved, just not believable. I have read a lot of this author's books but I think is time to look elsewhere for my books in future.
on 10 July 2015
Fully up to the high standard that L E Modesitt has demonstrated in previous books. The only negative comment is that you hate approaching the end of the book, but it is so engrossing that you cannot resist turning the next page.
Can recommend it to all imaginative readers.
on 19 May 2014
I looked forward to this next book of the series as it nudges the story towards impossible odds, good well thought out directions and the potential for some more brilliantly written action. I was not dissapointed and really looked enjoyed the story however I now have to wait and that I can honestly say is the only bad part of these stories. Dave
on 30 January 2018
Excellent value
on 15 March 2014
It felt like the end of this series, but there is scope for following new characters in a new book. The eight books in this series have been among Modesitt's best, if not the best, intriguing characters, interesting world, and believable. I shall be re-reading these for years to come.
on 15 October 2016
down loaded on to kindle in record time very happy with this
on 10 February 2014
good writes leave the reader wanting to know what happened next and modesitt has always left me wanting to know what happened after the book ended did this or that person move onto a better life or did life not live up to expectations
on 25 June 2014
Quaeret and Vaelora strive to save the new lands for Bhayar. To defeat the conspirator who has been hidden from the st
In full view. To a greater land of Solidar. And defeat Rex Kharsts hidden Imagers