Customer reviews

Revision Express AS and A2 English Language (Direct to learner Secondary)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 May 2013
i think that this revision guide has helped me in my a-level English language. for me it has been really helpful! it involves key points on spoken language and some key theories. there is also great linguistic techniques in which has sincerely helped with my annotating skills. so overall a very good buy, i would recommend this to any one who is doing English language and perhaps need a little bit of help in the subject. it also was a swift delivery, so thanks :)
on 25 January 2016
Just what my daughter needed
on 27 June 2017
The condition of the book was good.
on 24 July 2015
Not 'very good' condition as described
on 25 July 2011
As a revision book for AS and even A2 this is very helpful and very good value. It gives easy-to-read summaries of all the key topics in enough depth to structure a decent essay or exam answer. You will need to add to it more examples and your own critical evaluation of theories and research presented. If you find it helps you to have each topic presented in just two pages with headings and bullet points, then this is a book for you. Its Grammar section is very clear and reader-friendly, a good resource if word classes and syntax are getting confusing. Topics are arranged helpfully, though you will need to check your own exam board's current requirements to know where the different topics fit into your exams. Despite becoming a little dated now, the content is still the basic material needed for A level so an excellent starting point for revision. And as the name suggests, it's quick and easy to use.
on 18 April 2009
This is an extremely helpful book, and is written in a easy to understand way with a clear and concise layout.

It is relevant to all exam boards and lots of people in my class have this book - we all agreed it was the best one.
on 6 June 2013
I do English Language GCE with WJEC and used this for my A2 year. Firstly, this book does not always go into great detail in explaining certain terms; it will mention something and then I'd be left to look it up.
While it does provide some good material on terminology, I often found that it did not give much in terms of higher level terminology. What it does give, is a good base glossary of terms, but I was looking to get some higher terms of linguistic analysis such as 'lexical diffusion', 'superscription', 'orthography', 'synecdoche', 'homonym' or 'hypophora'... Don't get me wrong, it IS VERY useful as revision material (as it is advertised), but I would recommend 'Sara Thorne's: Mastering Advanced English Language' as a book in which you could FULLY rely on - although it is not as easily digestible as this.
If you are using this for AS level only then I would give it 4 1/2 Stars, but as it is, it's not something which I could give full stars due to the omission of certain higher level terms.
on 1 March 2009
This text book is great, colourful so your not falling asleep, whilst still giving you all the information you will need to grab those higher grades. A great purchase that you really can't go wrong with.
The structure is very simple for this revision express text book, it centres upon one area such as pragmatics and then explains and enthralls you with information.
A noticable feature when it comes to this text book is the 'grade booster' section, every so often there are small hints that tell you which bits to focus on in the exams which should be heeded as many are very useful.
22 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 March 2010
The book is like the textbook I never had in English language. Prior to receiving the book I was anxious as to whether it would meet my needs in terms of my examination board - AQA B but this wonderful not only did that but it selects what parts you need for specific examining boards and shows you what you don't really need to learn. It is great in this sense as I already, like most AS students have tons of revision to do already. I am glad I bought this book but I still wish it added more depth in some areas and more ideas on how to analyse each language feature maybe like pragmatics, where it was touched on but thankfully it has an index for definitions of words which helps direct your analysis but I feel more depth could have been included basically in other parts too.
Overall it is a great book and if you do not already own a textbook or a revision book for this subject I strongly recommend this one whatever your board. :)
on 11 October 2009
Absolutely fabulous guide to everything on the as syllabus throughout all exam boards. A great guide to annotating style models but also helping you with the parts of your exams. Well worth the money spent!