From the Author
Hi, I'm Tony Abbott. Welcome to the sort of bizarre world of The Weird Zone. The Revenge of the Tiki Men. I knew long before I had a book, that this was going to be a title. I'm glad I was able to write it before the series ended.
Now, the answers to the quiz. As you know (yeah, right!), the Tiki Men of Grover's Mill are ancient. They go way way back into prehistory, so they know lots and lots of nearly useless information about stuff. Now, they will reveal the answers to . . . THE WEIRD ZONE QUIZ!!!!
1. Do you know where the name of the town in the Weird Zone -- Grover's Mill -- comes from? -- It comes from the 1939 radio broadcast of 'The War of The Worlds' put on by Orson Welles. In the radio show, Grovers Mill, New Jersey, is the site of the first Martian landing . . . (just like in my series, the aliens always seem to land there).
.2 What's so funny about the name of the pancake restaurant in town? --There is a famous story by Edgar Allan Poe called 'The Fall of the House of Usher.' I thought of the International House of Pancakes and I thought that in the Zone, Mr. Usher should be the owner of the pancake house.
3. Where did the name of the drive-in movie theater come from? --The Plan Nine Drive In comes from that awful movie Plan 9 From Outer Space. It is really a terribly done movie, but awesomely fun to watch. A little scary, though, so check with your parents.
4. When Exetor tells the kids that 'Zoll is Zoll' what old TV show am I sort of quoting? --You'll never get this. There was an old Star Trek show (from the original series) where, when Captain Kirk (I think) asks who some guy named Voll is, an alien answers, "Why, Voll is Voll."
5. Can you name the real songs that I'm making fun of when Mike puts on the tape of Classic Food Songs of the Great Crooners? There are three songs, on pages 86, 87, and 90. -- Help from parents (or other old folks) might help. The songs are: 'That's Amore' for page 86, 'Blue Skies' for page 87, and 'I've Got you Under My Skin.'
6.What's so strange about the names of the Dunk twins? -- They are the same. Rob and Bob (both short for Robert). Also, what's the whole joke about the title of their eating establishment? -- It's the Double Dunk Donut Den. The joke to me is that you might think that when we say double dunk, we mean that you dunk your donut twice. Huh-uh. The double dunk refers to the two Dunk brothers!
7. What's the joke about the school's name? -- Easy one! The name of the school is W. Reid. Scramble those letters and you get . . . WEIRD!
By for now! I've got a bunch of books coming out later this year. WATCH THIS SPACE FOR MORE INFORMATION!
By the way, if you want to write to me, I'm at firstname.lastname@example.org Happy Reading!