Researching British Military Medals Paperback – 7 Nov 2007
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Steve Dymond is a member of the Orders and Medals Research Society. He served with the Royal Corps of Signals and the Intelligence Corps, and subsequently the Metropolitan Police. Resident - Essex
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
This is a must for anyone attempting to navigate the world of British military records.
This book is entirely different. Its focus is on the records behind the medals. It was a tradition in the British military to inscribe medals awarded to soldiers with their name, regiment, and often service numbers. This means that these baubles of cloth and metal are not mere keepsakes, but actual links to an individual's past.
Medal collectors, military historians, and genealogists will all find this a very practical guide explaining how to flesh out the story behind the medal by consultation with the available records. Most of the records discussed are held at the Public Record Office but the author also discusses sources including those found with the medal (cases, telegrams, etc.) newspapers, and other libraries, museums and archives.
The volume is profusely illustrated in black and white with period photos, close-ups of medals, and examples of the records involved. It is a very good step-by-step guide for learning the history of a serviceman based on their medals.
Delivered as estimated
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland
- Books > History > Military History > Armed Forces > Special & Elite Forces
- Books > Home & Garden > Antiques & Collectables > Antiques & Collectables by Subject > Coins, Medals & Seals
- Books > Home & Garden > Antiques & Collectables > Antiques & Collectables by Subject > Militaria & Weapons
- Books > Reference > Genealogy