Customer reviews

Replay: The History of Video Games
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£7.99

on 18 March 2018
An enjoyable journey through the history of video games.
It starts from the first hand built video game console cabinets and continues through to the era of the PS3 and XBox360, covering most if not all consoles in between. The history of PC gaming is also covered extensively.
There were also plenty of nostalgic moments for me as a long time gamer having started with the Commodore VIC20 who is still gaming today well into my 50s!
A well researched book that should appeal to all keen video game players.
Perhaps one day an updated, or dare I day, levelled up (sorry!) edition could include the development of gaming on your mobile phine and the advances in VR.
on 22 November 2013
This is a really good book for lovers of video games, who have an interest in how it all came about. I haven't quite finished it yet, but have read enough to know it is really interesting. I bought it to research Mel Croucher and his software industry, which includes Deus Ex Machina, (of which he has a new release waiting in the wings complete with his own book, etc), and was not disappointed. This book covers so much video games history, it really is a great buy.
on 23 August 2013
I haven't read a book for ages, but I couldn't put this down. I remember the Pong Games, but the start of video games for me was on the ZX Spectrum and arcade machines in the local chippy.

This book covers most of the games that I grew up, with the history behind them and the lead up the Video Games scene in 201Xs.

A great read, and I would hearty recommend it.
on 23 July 2013
I actually enjoyed reading this from a business perspective, as so many of the early games were created and sold by small working partnerships - it's good to see how you can have an idea and then make some decent money out of making it happen, whether or not that was your original intention.
on 26 January 2017
If video games are your bag, I believe this is required reading. Very thorough and interesting.
on 2 June 2012
Deeply impressive examination of video game creation, culture and commerce. Scholarly in approach and scope its global perspective is particularly satisfying. Loads of great anecdotes too e.g. the end of Ultima Online's beta - a real paradigm shift. The shout to Jon Savage in the acknowledgements makes complete sense and Donovan's writing deserves to be considered in the same breath. Highly recommended.
on 14 June 2017
Highly recommended.
on 10 May 2015
Fella loved it. Kept him entertained on hols.
on 1 January 2017
Decent book, good complimentary infos towards the "standard" History of Videogames by Mr. Kent
on 16 January 2014
I bought this for my husband for Christmas and he was thrilled! He said the reading is heavy, but it is very full of historical info. Perfect for any die hard gamer.