on 22 March 2017
I am a fan of Stephen Edger and have read several of his books, but I have to admit being slightly disappointed in this book. While it was well written, I found it a bit boring in its content. It was a slow start, but I thought it would pick up later as the story evolved, but, alas, to no avail.
I couldn't get into it and I found the characters very unlikeable. Too much of the baby crying and John Duggan and his wife, Ness arguing, even the ending was a bit of an anti-climax. Never mind, it will not stop me reading Stephen Edger's books. He is a great author. This book let him down.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 February 2014
I read up to 50% and the paged through, looking for things happening, to see how it ended. But it's really not a good book. FAR too much detail - endless descriptions of the baby crying, feeding the baby, the new parents arguing. I'm sure it was all very realistic - but it was boring as hell.

The main problem though, for me, is the usual old chestnut. For you to get drawn into a book you have to either like or empathise with at least one character in it. And there was absolutely no one likeable in here.

This may have been intended to convey the remorse of John, the main character, but he was a d*ck on page one and he was still a d*ck at the end of the book.
on 4 January 2015
Good premise for a book - the lead character is in prison for killing someone, but who? The lead character takes us through his story of what led to him ending up in prison. Overall I enjoyed the book, but it was a bit long winded, and the lead character telling the story sometimes was not convincing as a) it was talking about situations he wasn't directly involved in, so wouldn't know about, b) the first person narrative sometimes slipped and c) the lead character was not very nice, so when he describes something for the reader to emphasise with, you can't. All in all, fairly good read, but could do with some polishing in places to make it flow better.
on 9 October 2015
A good easy to read book that keeps you gripped until the end wanting to see what happens.

However having read the Mark Baines trio where Detective Vincent is on his last legs due to a critical illness I'm amazed that the author seems to have forgotten this bearing in mind the last 2 books I've read still involve him and he is still alive.

However a recommendable book.
Cannot understand the negative reviews on here. Downloaded this last December when it was on free offer and just got round to reading it, absolutely loved it, got into it straight away,which I like, a great story-line, full of suspense and a real page turner, loved every minute of it.

Have read a lot of Stephen's books and have never been disappointed. Can thoroughly recommend this and all of S.E's books.
on 8 January 2015
What is a pretty decent storyline was spoilt by the deluge of unnecessary detail. We really don't need the whole back story of the scrote who robbed the TV from the shop, we don't need to know what each of the emails in Duggan's inbox were about, just far too much padding.

The author needs to surrender his work to a good editor who will hone and polish it, his ideas are good but he really needs to address this issue or he will fail to keep his readers.
on 21 September 2017
Great realistic characters with such normality that the consequences could happen to anyone of us.. A few bad decisions and lives ruined. A good riveting read. Very much enjoyed it.
on 25 June 2016
This is a thriller with a difference. I read this book after reading the 3rd in series. An introduction to Johnson Carmichael in this book. A really good read with a few twists.
on 15 December 2014
Not being a great one for either reading or reviewing books read, I thought it only right that I attempted to review the latest book I've read by the utterly brilliant Stephen Edger. I gauge books by the first 2 chapters, if it hasn't caught my interest by then I usually delete it from my kindle. This book not only got my attention but I was unable to put down for the next 3 hours. When relaying this book to colleagues I went into almost graphic detail and have convinced at least 2 people to sample books by the wonderful Mr Edger. It usually takes me a couple of weeks to finish a book but Remorse was finished in 4 evenings, I found myself looking forward to getting home in order to read more.
on 23 July 2016
I downloaded this book when it was free, and it was well worth reading. However I totally agree with other readers that there is far too much time given to explaining the characters everyday mundane tasks. This could easily put readers off finishing the book.