Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
This price was set by the publisher.
The Reformation Kindle Edition
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
The Reformation was not a one-time event, but an ongoing process over many centuries. The timeline Collinson provides at the start begins at 1378, the start of the Great Schism, the era of popes and antipopes, which provided some fertile ground for later Reformation in fact if not in theology and ecclesiology. This is of course 150 years prior to Martin Luther's grand pronouncements, followed quickly by John Calvin and others. Collinson's time frame continues up to the Glorious Revolution of 1688 in Britain, which finally established the Protestant rule in Britain.
Collinson's explorations show interesting sides to this tumultuous period of history. Luther's conversion story, often retold by Luther himself, changes periodically into not-always-consistent versions. This is part of the tension Collinson describes, the tension between Reformation as a process and Reformation as an historical event. Collinson also develops the idea of Reformation as something not necessarily tremendously radical - Martin Luther, according to many historians quoted by Collinson, can be seen as a medieval rather than a modern man - he `...offered new answers to old questions. He asked no new ones.Read more ›
This is a great book, whether your using it for undergrad background or simply reading it for pleasure.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This is an intelligently written, detailed but highly readable book looking at the reformation in Europe and it's wider impactPublished 1 day ago by Amazon Customer
Only read a little, too busy studying this module I'm on now. Bought it to read during Summer break . This goes for all the Academic books I've bought thus far.Published 4 months ago by Patricia Hall
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Anglo-Saxon 500-1000
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Black Death
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Norman and Medieval 1001-1500
- Books > History > Europe > Vikings, Dark Ages, Medieval Europe 501-1500
- Books > History > Religious History > Christianity
- Books > History > World History > 501-1500
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Christianity > Church History
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Europe
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christianity