Size: 3 UK|Colour: Brown - Tan|Change
Price:£21.01 - £32.00

on 28 May 2013
These were bought for me as a gift, I would certainly never pay this much for what are effectively very nice and different flip flops, but they are lovely and were appreciated by me. These are the Guatemalan "Love" sandals which come in a few colours including the lovely purples in the pic. Mine are brighter however and have a striped rainbow coloured design which appeals to my inner hippy and matches my horrible tie-dyed clothes...

I love bohemian clothing. Anything rainbow, floaty, hippy, indian style is my idea of heaven. These fit the bill because of their woven rainbow straps. I remember when my daughter was tiny we bought a pair of Guatemalan dungarees made from the same woven fabric. They were so bright and unlike anything found in the rather uninspiring high street that even though she has long outgrown them, I have hung onto them with a view to one day making some form of patchwork quilt with them. The person who bought these for me knew me well in terms of the style that I like and although Reef are primarily a "surfer" oriented company, these are just on the edge of that for me to like them.

WEAVINGS:

Traditional Guatemalan weaving is beautiful and colourful. The distinctive patterns and skillful designs make them recognisable. The descendants of the Mayan people pride themselves in using bright and bold colourways and the weaving is not confined to just rugs and throws, some Guatemalans wear whole outfits of finely woven patterns based on traditional shapes and designs. The same method of weaving has stayed the same over hundreds of years via backstrap looms or larger treadle ones for sheets of woven cloth. This is the cloth that the straps on these sandals are made from.

There is more on the history of the weaving in the link below with some amazing pictures:

http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2009/10/2 1/the-weaving-of-guatemala

We are told that these sandal straps are hand woven in Guatemala and feature traditionally patterns and designs. Reef state that the straps are created in partnership with the nonprofit organization Nest. From an ethical standpoint this is very interesting but even with some digging I was unable to find out what proportion of profits actually go to the people who weave the straps. I would like to know though.

There is more information on Nest here:

QUALITY:

These shoes are very soft underfoot and are well cushioned. They apparently used to have thicker soles on them and there have been a few negative comments on the internet due to this, but as these are my first pair of this type I really do not know any different. I wear them around the house, and have worn them to the beach. They are easy to walk on sand with and dry fast when wet from the sea. The weaving has stayed intact and I have even hand washed them. They also look good with pretty much anything due to the variety of colours on the strap.

The toe posts of these are flexible and did not need to be broken in at all, no blisters or problems even when worn for long periods. These have a footbed shape to the base which I love (Birkenstock fan here) which are exceptionally comfortable and good for my feet. The soles although soft keep their shape well so there is no sagging over time of the footbed itself or the straps. The outer tread is rubber and lightly textured with an all over "leaf" type design. The "Reef" logo is embossed onto the bottom of the sole but this is subtle which is good because nobody wants to look like an old fart trying to be "down with the kids"....

These are a hand-made item and therefore the website states that slight variations may occur in the colours of the woven straps. This is true for mine where the straps are slightly mismatched but then I think that gives them character. These are very lovely shoes but I wonder if the high price is due to the name rather than the materials unless of course Reef are donating a sizeable chunk to the charitable organisation involved with the weavers.

The colourful woven straps are double seamed at the edges with tight stitches and these have held true despite being worn a lot. The rainbow colours on mine have not faded either and they are just as bright and beautiful as the day that I received them. So I would say that these are well made despite their simple design and they seem to be able to hold up to all sorts of wear and tear. They have also survived a few rounds in the washing machine on a cool wash with no damage showing.

Features:

* Soft cotton strap with hand-woven textiles from Guatemala
* Colourful and lively shoes
* EVA footbed
* Lightly textured rubber outer sole
* Toe post logo
* Excellent arch support

These are great!
on 14 April 2015
I purchased a size 6 although I am usually a UK size 5 but I had read lots of posts on amazon about needing a size bigger. So guided by this I purchased the 6 and have to say that this worked out perfectly. These are very comfortable flip flops and the centre post is also very comfortable. Extremely happy with my purchase especially as the colour and size I wanted were on offer!
on 26 April 2013
May seem pricey for flip flops but they were mega comfortable and I wore them all day/everyday, in the Seychelles, for 3 weeks. Went with anything as the multi-coloured pattern was great. No signs of wear and tear. Cannot recommend them highly enough. Service/delivery was great also - arrived 2 days ahead of predicted date.
on 1 June 2016
Having read other reviews I ordered a size larger, unfortunately they felt too lose on my feet and flopped around too much. I really liked the fabric thong as it was very comfortable, the footbed felt a bit too spongy for my liking.
on 20 August 2014
These sandals are absolutely lovely, I read the reviews before I purchased them, it is true they are a little expensive but they are well worth that extra bit of money. They are a lovely colour, very well made and very very comfortable.
I am really pleased and would definitely recommend them.
on 1 December 2015
I bought a pair of Reef flip flops years ago and they are still in use but I thought I'd have a new pair for my holidays. They didn't disappoint. Correct size, comfortable, durable and look great. I wont be leaving it as long to treat myself to another pair.
on 19 August 2014
Would not buy any other kind of Flip Flops have been wearing Reef for 30 years and this is my fourth pair, which shows how well they last. These ones did come up small so had to return the first pair I ordered but second ones arrive and are brilliant.
on 6 July 2014
Like the appearance but the sizing is terrible. Compared the shoe with French bought flip flops and they should measure the same. Instead they were nearly an inch shorter. Will be returning them for a larger size.
on 1 June 2016
My wife tried them on when on holiday in Malta, but they didn't have the right size ! I thought I would surprise her and ordered them from Amazon ! They arrived on time and she is very happy with them and me.. and I have scored a large brownie point !
on 23 August 2015
Just got these a few hours ago and love them already. Ordered a size 7 when normally a 6 after reading other reviews. Glad I did as they fit perfectly and the 6 would have been too small. Beautiful colours arranged differently on each sandal; which is part of the charm. Very soft and comfortable to wear. Don't want to take them off!