Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£6.54|
Save £4.20 (64%)
A Red Tale Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta) (May include reviews from Early Reviewer Rewards Program)
I was born and bred in the Caribbean, so I know that the tropical islands are known for their extremely warm temperatures throughout the year, verdant hills, and white, black or pink sand beaches (according to which island you happened to be visiting). So, you can imagine how my curiosity was piqued quite early in the story when Stasia, the main character, sees the snow-covered islands of the West Indies, as the plane she is traveling in flies across the sky.
Things are certainly different in this new Earth, so different that Stasia’s dark-complexioned mother is now pale, and instead of people frolicking and having a grand time, they now have to maneuver their way around heaps of snow. Even the economy is negatively affected by global cooling as the sugarcane plant cannot withstand the extremely cold weather, and indigenous flora and fauna no longer thrive there. However, one thing is certain; one type of animal seems to be lurking around, and Stasia thinks they’re dragons. Dragons? Who will believe her?
Author Nicola Mar weaves a fascinating tale of Stasia’s adventures. There are descriptive scenes that take me to different worlds, both above and beneath the sea. Another thing that makes this story such a fantastic read is the fact that it is told from Stasia’s point of view. For that reason, it feels as if Stasia and I are one and the same person, engaging in adventure and discovery. So, for instance, when Stasia dreams of Surritz, it seems as if I’m seeing what she sees in her dream, in which plants become animals, and animals become people.
A Red Tale is definitely a must-read for people who enjoy reading fantasy. Congratulations, Ms. Mar for a job well-done!
We start with water dragons, because that is a very good place to start – especially in a fantastical tale that sweeps you away as quickly as the tunnel stole Anastasia. The Caribbean, once a tropical paradise has devolved into a cold environment with snow on the beaches and Cane Plantation workers out of business. It’s a strange new world that leaves the mind spinning and opens the door to the land of Surritz. Anastasia learns many things in her journeys, from past lives to the future – and everything in between.
Fast paced, captivating and all together fun, this debut novel is an adventure that will keep you reading. Strangely like Wizard of Oz yet very much an Alice in Wonderland type story, this book combines elements of dreaming, distant lands, mystique and deep imaginings.
I fell in love with the barren, yet magical world, and the water dragons, including Gito. You won't be disappointed reading this. I wasn't.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Coming of Age
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Epic
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Sword & Sorcery
- Books > Young Adult > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > General
- Books > Young Adult > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Sword & Sorcery
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Coming of Age
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Epic
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Sword & Sorcery
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Coming of Age
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Sword & Sorcery