on 15 August 2015
An enjoyable read, but not a literary horror novel as it has been advertised. Also, too long with a lot of unnecessary detail about stuff and some corny, clichéd characters especially in the "baddie" Lycan camp. In short, an entertaining YA novel, with more gore and sex than would be acceptable for the genre. Heard it is going to be a trilogy. Won't be reading the next instalment. I think that money and film rights had more to do with the writing of this novel than art and creativity.

Message to Stephen King..Please stop giving so much praise to average books for the commission
on 12 April 2015
Very well written, great characters whose lives criss crossed each other with a background of politics, war and difference in ideologies. The writing reminded me of Stephen King, which immediately endeared it to me. Some people in previous reviews thought some parts boring, but I would have to disagree. It made the story believable and not gun-ho like most werewolf books we see nowadays. It felt like if werewolves really did exist, this could be a possible future/universe.
on 11 August 2013
Good prose, clever plot and on the whole relatively unpredictable, this is a successful metaphor for the human rights movement,a strong account of the freedom fighter/terrorist duality and a somewhat bitter albeit truthful account of how us humans always choose to treat the different and "other".
Recommended to those interested in politics and have no aversion to the supernatural genre
on 1 February 2016
Nice book to read.
on 2 December 2015
on 13 January 2015
Barely readable.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 February 2015
So I read this a few weeks ago now, only just getting around to a review due to extreme book reading, but looking back I’d quite like to read this one all over again. And probably will a few times over the next few years.

It was an absolute genius of a story really – a Werewolf saga that is so much more than that, a real romp of a tale, with plenty of thrills and plenty of emotion, which is hugely satisfying and has a social message at its heart.

In a world where Werewolves exist alongside us, we follow an eclectic and brilliantly imagined cast of characters through a time of huge upheaval – as communities fracture, the government takes a supressing stand and, well, we all know what tends to happen when you try and dampen the human (or werewolf for that matter) spirit. Each “side” believing they are right, soon there will be a reckoning and the world after the Red Moon will look very different..

The story really is utterly addictive from start to finish – What Benjamin Percy has done is take the world we live in today, the prejudices, the divisions, the good and the bad and endowed it with a slightly different stance, a little twist in the tale in order to spin a yarn which will entertain you, engage you, give you a lot to think about, whilst also providing you with characters you will never forget and a distinct desire for him to write a book a week.

I like that it is mostly a character piece – werewolf or not, all the people you will meet within are extraordinarily well drawn, very authentic and as events occur around them they grow as the story does, the ever changing landscape of their lives affecting them in many different ways. I was fond of Patrick, stuck with Claire all the way but honestly I think that Chase Williams was probably the character that made this for me. He is just so beautifully normal but then, not so much. How he copes with what is happening to him made up some of my favourite portions of the whole. Overall though, every character will have you feeling something – be it distaste, love, hate or indifference, with a huge spectrum in between. Even the ones who don’t appear that often.

The mythology is elegant, feels terribly real and utterly possible – I lived in this one for the entirety of the reading experience, not at any point did I FEEL like I was reading a fantasy novel. The author has a great complexity to his structuring and descriptive prose that makes it a wonderfully flowing page turner, he throws unexpected little gems into the story that make you sigh and the whole thing really is beautifully done.

Overall definitely a book I would happily recommend to anyone, no matter what their favourite genre may be. One for the favourite author shelf. Don’t miss it like I nearly did!
VINE VOICEon 26 February 2014
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I went into this expecting a fairly standard werewolf novel but was really glad to find so much more. This novel has dazzling scope and twists a plenty. Yes, as many other reviewers have said, it can be read as allegory; but then so many great genre works can. It is one of the markers that means a work will stand the test of time. It can speak to its readers on many levels. Red Moon certainly does that if you let it.

The characters are compelling and really well drawn. The reader can witness them growing and their prejudices forming or being stripped away by their experiences. This is so well handled that it gives a truthful depth to the interplay between competing ideologies. In fact there were many occasions where even this savvy genre reader found herself surprised by the intricate and unexpected breadth of the story. One of the aspects I admired most was that Mr Percy holds his nerve with allowing the true scale of some of the story arcs and issues to remain unresolved and open to interpretation.

This is a thoughtful novel and one that provokes much musing on exactly what it means to be human, to belong and to rage against a world order rife with prejudice. Not just a great genre novel but a great novel. With werewolves. Recommended.
on 3 May 2017
The premise of this book sounds really good but it wasn't.
I found this book very very complicated and difficult to keep up with all the characters. It was like one minute we are with one character then all of a sudden without any explanation. I also felt like things in the plot weren't really explain properly and left me with more questions than answers. I also found it difficult to engage with any of the characters and found them all outright anoying, self-centred, mean, boring, unconvinsing and unrelatable at best. I don't know if that's what the author wanted to portray or not. But it didn't work for me
In some parts I found the author over described something when he could of easily used only 10 words not a full blown paragraph. So personally I thought it was severely over written and could of atleast been about 150 pages shorter.
on 17 October 2016
I’m not one hundred percent sure where I stand with this book: on the one hand I enjoyed it and yet on another hand I felt as though at times I was forcing myself to carry on reading it. As a whole I enjoyed it more than I disliked it, and yet it doesn’t fall into my favourite reads of the year thus far.

The book takes lycans and throws them into the world we know: rather than having them some hidden creature hiding away in dark corners they are all around us. The world knows of lycans and yet people are unaware, for the most part, who the lycans are. Following a lycan terrorist attack a downwards spiral ensues in which both sides are dealing with the consequences of their actions.

It’s not the normal supernatural read instead it’s a thriller which has substituted an everyday minority for a supernatural creature. It is certainly an interesting read.