on 21 May 2014
I have read all of Karice Boltons books but I kept putting Recruits off as it was about Zombies not my thing , but I was so wrong it was absolutely brilliant . Lots of edge of seat stuff and what a twist to normal zombie stuff. Great writing yet again cant wait for next installment .
on 26 April 2014
I’m fairly new to the Zombie scene, and this was only the second book I’ve read in this genre, The first one being ‘Undying’ by Valerie Grosjean which I adored, so I was a little nervous when I started this one in case I didn’t get the same ‘buzz’ for it.

I needn’t have worried because WOW! ‘RecruitZ’ was just spectacular in every way! I’ve had a few of Karice Bolton’s books on my Kindle for a while now and never gotten around to reading them, but as soon as I finished reading ‘RecruitZ’ I looked them up and added them to my immediate to-read list because the author had such a satisfying and stunning writing style that I flew through this book within a day, so engrossed in the story, the characters, the world, just everything!

I had chills as I read the first chapter where we see Rebekah’s husband die, and I could feel the emotions just seeping off the page. I was hooked from the start and had to know more.

Rebekah was an absolutely brilliant heroine, she was one of those characters I related to really strongly. I loved that she mourned her husband through her desperation for answers, and how trying to avenge the guilty parties involved in his death was how she coped and felt closer to him.

The mystery and suspense of this novel was just so intense there were moments I had to put the book down, look around and remind myself that I was not actually living in a Zombie Apocalypse. That was how much this story sucked me in, and how real it felt. Karice Bolton’s fantastic descriptions, and realistic settings were written to perfection.

OK, and my current book boyfriend? Definitely the lovely Preston. I loved him from the get go. But what was so refreshing about this book was that it was not overtly romantic. I am a huge romance fan but the subtle change in Rebekah and Preston’s relationship throughout the book was so beautiful and even more special in a way. They didn’t look at each other for romance, or promises of love, they connected on a deep level of desperation to seek revenge for their loved ones. It was so wonderful to see their friendship grow on a deeper level, and whilst not romantic (because honestly there was no suggestion of any strong romance between them in this part of their story), there was a deeper connection and understanding between them which made them the perfect partnership for their quest for the truth.

Everything about this story was so original and compelling. The way that the Zombies were no longer the bad-guys, but were being used to further their own power was chilling, and made the Zombies seem more human, more vulnerable, and most of all an enemy that has layers.

This was a stunning, compelling and all round brilliant start to the Afterworld Series and I can’t wait to see where Rebekah and Preston continue on their journey for the truth.

*I received a copy of this book from the author as part of the 'RecruitZ' blog tour in exchange for an honest review*
on 14 May 2014
Before Recruitz I have been lucky enough to read other titles by Karice Bolton, my favourite being The Camp.
Recruitz is a novel which begins with an assault to the reader's assault senses; Karice Bolton describes the zombie attack without any inhibitions, with a fast paced style of writing. This beginning, though full of tension and heart-break, immediately engages the reader, into the life of Rebekah and the mystery of the 'thinking' zombies.
This is a story about revenge, greed, accepting life and death. Karice Bolton's characters are the two extremes; we either love or hate them. Rebekah and Preston have both been left seriously damaged by the zombie attacks and have teamed up to investigate those they think are responsible. Although Karice Bolton explores the growing attraction between the two of them I was glad she stayed true to Rebekah's character, who is still grieving for Gavin.
The plot to Recruitz is not a predictable one, often leading in frighteningly 'real' directions. Karice Bolton's descriptions are always detailed, even in the more gruesome scenes! Recruitz is a fantastic story which offers its reader an original view of zombies! I look forward to reading Alibiz.
I received this as a complimentary review copy, but this has had no influence on my opinion.
on 25 April 2014
HOLY HELL!

If you know me, you'll already know how much of a HUGE fan of Karice's I am.
I love ALL her work!

So you thought this would be "another" zombie book! Well sorry to disappoint you, but that's where your wrong!
Yes, it's a zombie novel, BUT with a twist.

I'll be honest this is the first time for me to read about Zombies, Vampires, Demons, Shapeshifters & Angels are more my kind of thing but all books deserve a fair shot.

Having seen her husband mauled to his death before her eyes, Rebekah, is hell bent on seeking revenge and finding out the truth, on how and why they targeted her husband and not her.

Along the road we meet the lusciously handsome Preston....OMG! Could this guy getting any hotter.

There's more twists and turns in this, than I would of thought there to be, but it makes the thrill of the read so much better, everything is going along one way but then the twists and turns cause new surprises to leap out at you.

With the reveals that happen during RecruitZ I feel like there's a whole NEW story of the Afterworld Series to be revealed in the next instalment....AlibiZ
on 7 February 2014
I wasn't sure at first when I started reading this book, it didn't grasp my imagination as easily as Karice's other books but I persevered and I'm pleased to say that yes it was an amazing story so I'm looking forward to the 2nd book
on 22 April 2014
I honestly thought I had read all possible scenarios in the zombie genre, but boy was I mistaken. This book takes everything we think we know and turns it totally on its head. It is not a book for the feint hearted.

The book isn't your typical zombie book. The author takes us on a journey beginning after the apocalypse, and quickly introduces us to world where nothing is as it seems. As a reader you actually have to think about what the characters discover as the story progresses.

The main female character, Rebekah, likes to think she is tough enough to go through with what she believes is the best way forward. But in reality she isn't, and she quickly realises she can't do it alone. She has to learn to let go of the past, and what she believes to be the truth. What she discovers as the story goes on will throw her theories out the window totally and makes her question her past life.

This is a great story, the first in a series, and I for one cannot wait for the next part.
on 30 December 2013
This is another one of Karice,s series of books.At least it is the first one of a new series still being written. The first chapter takes you straight into the story and keeps your attention. While this is not my favourite genre of books, I did surprisingly enjoy this one and am looking forward to the next one in the series. While not every detail will enthral everyone who reads the book, overall the book as a whole is really good and is a slightly different take on what are classed as "zombie" books. There are many feelings displayed in this book in appropriate situations. The feelings of betrayal and lack of trust between the people are very strong therefore making the growth of these particular emotions very strong. There will probably be a romance as well but to find out how this is going to work out, the next book will need to be purchased and I hope like me, you will want to find out.
Having read books from Karice before, I hoped that I knew what to expect in terms of writing style. And I wasn't disappointed.

From the very first page of the first book, you are dragged into the story. The pace is frenetic, panicked; and then, takes a step back. Rebekah becomes more measured, more focussed, more frustrated, more dangerous. And that's what makes this story stand out.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
on 23 April 2014
When the outbreak is contained and only some straggler zombies are left, Rebekah thinks they are safe. She and her husband are in their car when suddenly they are attacked from all sides. They cant override the self drive commands so are stuck. Whats strange is the Zombies seem fixated on Rebekahs husband and seem to ignore her. When he is ripped out the window she scrambles out of the car to help. Next thing she knows a van drives up and all the zombies hop in. What the heck is going on? How can mindless zombies do this?

Now a few months down the line she is trying to get answers. No one believes her story so she sets out to find evidence. Along with Preston, whom she meets along the way, she has to journey to places she never imagined and find the answers that she may not be able to handle.

This isn't your typical zombie book. The zombies we see are manufactured to be fighting machines. The people in the Afterworld are pitting them against each other in the ring and some people are even using them for their own nefarious purpose. While I enjoyed Recruitz Im still very torn on how to rate it. Im leaning towards a 3.5 stars because there were a few things that annoyed me. Im going to get the negative part out of the way first.

While I did enjoy it as I said, I did have one or two problems. There wasn't alot of Zombie action. In a Zombie book you expect a lot of Zombies but this didn't have it. I did like the storyline about the zombies though and how they were made!! Also there was a part in the book where someone gets shot and they did nothing about it!!! I cant say too much about that part because of spoilers but it annoyed me what a certain character did. I was reading it and had to reread it to make sure I read it right. Then the ending. It was way too fast and easy and I expected more.

Now onto what I liked.
I liked Rebekah. She is smart, strong but still not totally kick ass. She lost the love of her life and is now trying to find answers to why and why were the zombies so focused on just him. She is training and reading and now feels ready to go to one of the zombie rings.

Preston lost his sister the same way Rebekah did and both are fighting for answers. He is part of an underground movement and tries to recruit Rebekah for it. She is hesitant but finds herself slowly starting to trust him. His character was strong and capable and I loved seeing their friendship grow.

The whole book is packed with action, mystery, suspense and plenty of twists and turns to keep everyone happy. Its fast paced and will keep you turning the pages. The plot is unique and the Zombies were creepy. Bolton has created a world that is horrible and slowly trying to repair itself but the wrong people are coming to power and abusing it. Theres quite a few questions left unanswered so I am looking forward to more to find the answers. Overall its a really good book and I am looking forward to more.
on 2 January 2014
Having read all of Karice Bolton 's books I was not disappointed, got straight into the story was action packed throughout with good story line. Can't wait for the second book. Would recommend this as a must read.