Customer reviews

on 20 November 2015
Going on "LRP,"patrols as a really inexperienced soldier casts doubts as to how effective these patrols were ! Not to be confused with genuine LRP/SF ops. Another mundane 'Nam account.
on 10 November 2012
A fly on the wall account of by the guys who were in it up to their necks I have read numerous books on LURPS and this is as good as they comet very brave and dedicated men in very dangerous situations a must read .
on 7 August 2014
Highly recommended, see my review of "Eyes Behind the Lines: L Company Rangers in Vietnam, 1969" by Gary Linderer
on 20 January 2015
Great read,great price,fast delivery
on 14 March 2014
Excellent book couldn't stop reading it highly recommended .grips you as if you were their ..one of the best .
on 13 August 2015
Good sh*t!
on 7 November 2011
I don't like posting 1 star reviews but this deserves it!

The writing in this book is awful, it's a shame, sounds like a good story but rarely do i ever give up on a book and this is one of the few.

Gave it over 100 pages but it's woeful, poor english and a just down right dull, please don't waste your money. This should never of been published. I bought this and 'Acceptable Loss' which was 50 times better and roughly the same price.

Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes, fiction, but based on his own experiences in Nam was the best book I have read in 10 years and could not put it down, rare to read such a wonderful and sad novel, buy that instead, that's my opinion anyway.
on 8 June 2001
Like many Britons my idea of the Vietnam war has been shaped by the Hollywood movie machine. Platoon and Full Metal Jacket! I thought I knew it all.This book has changed that preconception.Larry Chambers describes his training and subsequent arrival in Vietnam and his on the spot decision to volunteer for the LRRP's.The hair raising, awe inspiring patrols into the enemy's backyard. Firefights in what can only be described as hell. The fearsome Recondo training course in Nha Trang, where Mr Chambers personally took an NVA officer prisoner.This book will move and inspire anyone interested in matters military and tales from the sharp end.I have served with British airborne units and feel justified in saying that Mr Chambers and his colleagues were (and no doubt still are) special men- the veteran LRP's -the Old Foul Dudes- were aged around 20 years old!Read this book, you will not be disappointed.I find it incredible that so many films portray the American Infantryman with a burning desire to be anywhere but in Vietnam. Why... has nobody made a film about these professional, dedicated and patriotic men?
on 19 November 2004
After the Mogadishu fiasco sparked my interest in the specifics of special forces units and the human story behind them I have read about and talked to many veterans of various conflicts. But Mr Chambers has opened my eyes and way of thinking about the Vietnam war in a way that no other person has been able to.
Intelligently and passionately written, here is a man who faced the worst kind of odds and didn't back down. No matter what your political or historic view of Vietnam is (and I don't think many people are aware of it in enough detail) this book is as enthralling and engaging as you could hope for. The detail in Mr Chambers recollections is superb, and although I'm sure dramatic flurries may have crept in, gives a stunningly clear snapshot of a war of attrition from a man beyond the tip of the spear. This is no glamourisation or justification of the war, just a personal and intricate account of it. Highly recommended.
on 27 August 1998
I couldn't believe how badly this book was written. A sample would be something like this 'And then I went here and went this, and then I went here and did this, and then I went over there and did that , and then I went someplace else and did some other stuff'.
There are a whole bunch of really well written stories about the U.S. involvement Vietnam, and I have read a bunch of them. If you should pick only one book to read on the subject forget all about this one.
I have no doubt that Larry did some truly daring and brave things in Vietnam but this book sure didn't do them justice.