on 28 June 2015
I loved this book and was gripped from the start. The characters are fantastic and you really grow to care about Mills and her crazy family. Can't recommend this book enough.
on 15 December 2013
Wow! Where to start. Ruth offered me an e-copy of this book in return for an honest review. It gives me great pleasure to say it was brilliant.

Many people dismiss chick-lit as having no substance but often, as was the case with this book, you learn so much. I have been fortunate enough to have attended an Asian wedding and have experienced first hand the generousity and vibrancy that Ruth managed to portray so well in her book. For me Mills Ali the main character is brilliant. I felt every emotion that she felt - I laughed out loud and cried with her all the way through the book. By the end I felt she could have been someone I knew personally.

Mills is a typical young adult who feels stifled by her family, who actually understand her better than she realises. With the help of her mother she persuades her father to let her pursue her ambition to become a journalist and sets off to work on a magazine in London for twelve months - what she doesn't tell them is that she's also going to spend the year finding her own future husband to avoid the marriage her parents have arranged for her to a groom she's never met!

At the heart of the novel is the strong message of personal, cultural and family values which were different for Mills and her western friends but amounted to the same thing - respect! Ruth managed to weave the exotic Pakistani culture into this book in such a way I could see and taste the exotic Eastern clothes and food. She managed this in a typical, laugh out loud chick-lit style whilst respectfully conveying the difficulties and emotional struggles faced by young Muslim women living in a modern, western, society.

It's a very modern book which I highly recommend to any chick lit lover. Ruth Saberton is an author to sit up and take notice of - thank you.
on 10 November 2014
Badly written, infantile and wildly unrealistic. I wish I never started reading it, what a waste of time. The character is ridiculous and the plot very predictable and repetitive.
on 16 June 2014
The most funny book I've read in a while! As a white woman I have little in knowledge of Pakistani culture or traditional Muslim family traditions, this book was written in such a way that I never felt alienated and felt like I was part of the gang. As well as being an entertaining read, I've learnt a lot along the way.
Bollywood without the tinsel, singing and dancing!
on 17 October 2013
I must admit this is the first Bollywood style novel that I have read though I have seen films before.
Meeting Mills Ali from the moment I turned the first page has been continuously exciting!
Mills is achieving her dream job in London working on an Asian magazine as a compromise with her parents before an arranged marriage in a years time if she does not find a suitable Muslim man whilst living in London!
Here ensures moments that have you laughing , gasping with shock and close to tears with happiness as Mills blunders her way through dating via singles nights , supermarket singles shopping nights and dating a London solicitor whilst trying to find her soul mate!
Like every single woman there is pressure to date and this has been written about in a funny, yet sympathetic way as Mills has met all sorts and had some disastrous dates and some spectacular ones! I couldn't help laughing outright at some points , as she evaded creepy men and has a knight on a motorbike come to her rescue!
Mills has been a great character , not without flaws and that's what has made her more likable and a great character to read about and follow her adventures with.
This book is a kind of cross between Pride and Prejudice meets The Devil Wears Prada and has been a joy to read and the ending was worth the wait as Mills gets her man , but no spoilers you will needs to read it yourself to find out who!
Pick this book up and enjoy the ride that Ruth Saberton has created as it's fun all the way!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 17 October 2013
Well, I have already said this and I can only repeat that Ruth Saberton writing as Ruth Saberton and not under her other pen names, is just the best.

The book was brilliant and new in some ways. It was colourful, exotic, full of sounds and nice smells, and first of all, full of wonderful descriptions of a culture that is not so well known to me. And it was great to read about those new aspects, it was great to read about the visit to Pakistan and the preparations for wedding.

Mills is a very modern Muslim girl with more modern Muslim - sisters and brother and not so modern parents. The parents want Mills happily married and happily means: they must arrange the marriage. And they did arrange it. But Mills doesn't want this, she wants to fell in love, she wants to know her husband before she marries him and what is more, she wants to work as a journalist. And she got a wonderful chance, as she got a job at the magazine. But it's in London. Will the parents agree to this? They do, indeed, so maybe they are not so conservative as one thinks and they are not as afraid of other relatives, for whom only children, grandchildren, weddings and not some job in the capital city are the most important things in the world. There is only one condition: if Mills doesn't want arranged marriage she must find herself a nice boy who'll stay her husband. And she must do it fast.
So Mills hits London and its dating scene. The guys that she meets are hilarious, and it all written with typical Ruth style, I have laughed out loud or shook my head thinking, how it is possible? Is it for real? Why, people, why? Why do you come to Europe if you don't want to try a new life? And even if the guy does seem okay, his family is the example of a really bad, bad dream.
The ideas for finding a men, the dates were brilliant. Wouldn't like to be in Mills' shoes most of the times, oh no.
But I guess I can understand why the men doesn't want to change. It must be really nice to be a centre of the world for all women in a family, it must be really great when someone makes your wish come true before you can only think about them.

Mills was brilliant. Of course I felt desperate when she agreed to the arranged marriage but I could see her inner battle: the modern Mills against the polite, obedient daughter. I may perhaps don't understand it but I respect it. But she was intelligent, clever and funny and had great imagination, this must be told. Her friends were brilliant but the best of all them was her gay - friend from the magazine. Loved him with all my heart.
The men in this book are important characters as well, and we get really a big variety of them, one more ridiculous than the other, good and very bad, and of course Wish comes true:)

The book was written in a light, funny, engaging way, and the plot was fantastic, I think, no I am sure I have never read a book about such topic and it was great! The chapters were not too long and I just wanted to turn the next page to see what's going to happen. In my opinion, a brilliant read about really some important issues but delivered in a light, warm and funny way. All what I want :) Have waited long for another Ruth Saberton and just devoured this book.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for a review.
on 19 June 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed this book.. Well written with just enough expectation to want you to read more.

Will look forward to reading more in this vein
Ellen
on 13 July 2014
Mills is brought up in her cultures ways but manages to persuade her family to let her continue her education. She completes her degree and wants to continue on her career path. Her family has a different idea. This book shows the problems encountered by different cultures living in modern Britain. A nice summer read.
on 7 June 2014
I was hooked from the first chapter,a fascinating peek into how relationships work in a different culture.
I was so eager to find out what happened next almost missed my stop on the train...one of those books you can't put down but you really don't want it to end.
on 18 October 2013
I really enjoyed this novel. Once again, Ruth Saberton has come up trumps. Mills is a great heroine, her adventures on the dating scene are hilarious. I loved the characters, particularly her gay friend, brilliant family and the guys she met along the way.

The ending was good, perhaps not quite what I expected at the beginning, but perfectly understandable. I think she made the right choice, ( not sure I would have done the same...). This is the second multi cultural novel I've read recently, I was a little hesitant ( fear of the unknown?) but I'm glad I persevered because I loved it.