Real World Linux Security: Intrusion Prevention, Detection and Recovery (Open Source Technology) Paperback – 13 Nov. 2002
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From the Back Cover
―From the foreword by Eric S. Raymond
- Safeguard your Linux systems against today's most vicious attacks!
- Realistic, step-by-step techniques from one of the world's leading Linux security experts
- Covers IP Tables, ARP attacks, adaptive firewalls, VPNs, wireless networks, Samba, monitoring, 2.4 kernel security, and much more
- Quick and effective recovery from intrusions
- Web site contains important new tools for monitoring networks and locking out hackers
―Steve Bourne, Creator of the Bourne Shell
Stop today's most vicious Internet attackers―right in their tracks!
Your Linux system will be attacked: maybe in minutes, certainly in days. Be ready! Real World Linux Security, Second Edition brings together state-of-the-art solutions and exclusive software for safeguarding any Linux-based system or network, and fighting off any intrusion. Top Linux security consultant Bob Toxen has thoroughly revamped this definitive guide to reflect today's most vicious Internet attacks―and arm you with breakthrough resources for protecting yourself!
- Surprising new IP Tables research every netadmin must know about
- New techniques and software for detecting and blocking ARP and Switch attacks
- Important enhancements to Linux-based adaptive firewalls
- Thoroughly revised coverage of Samba security for Windows clients
- 802.11b wireless networks security
- How to make the most of Logcheck, Portsentry, and other new monitoring tools
- VPN and instant messaging security, GNU Privacy Guard, 2.4 kernel issues, and much more
- Includes all-new chapter on physical security
- Reviewed by some of the world's leading Linux security experts!
The accompanying web site contains the author's own state-of-the-art software for instantly locking out hackers and alerting system administrators. The website contents also include exclusive IP Tables and IP Chains firewall scripts (rule sets), as well as powerful new tools for monitoring network health, detecting and reporting suspicious activities, securing backups, simplifying recovery, and much more.
|5 star 53% (53%)||53%|
|4 star 0% (0%)||0%|
|3 star 0% (0%)||0%|
|2 star 0% (0%)||0%|
|1 star 47% (47%)||47%|
Top international reviews
I confirmed this with the author. It turned out that the publisher, without informing the author, chose in later printings of the book to save money by not including a CD. But the publisher didn't update the cover about promising the CD.
If you are a Security Professional, Systems Administrator or a wannabe this book belongs on your bookshelf. The topics are broad and yet fairly in depth. Even if you think you know security get this book. The information is organized that well.
You can use this book to harden just about *nix flavor machine based on his examples. The attack processes illustrated will reinforce your existing knowledge or teach how you need to start thinking about security.
Bottom line is security has many layers or rings. If one ring fails hopefully you have several other rings of protection. Don't rely on a firewall to protect you. Firewalls only scratch the surface in building a secure enviroment.