Real World Adobe Illustrator CS2 Paperback – 10 Nov 2005
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Mordy Golding has played an active role in the design and publishing environment since 1990. A production artist for both print and the web for many years. Mordy, an Adobe Certified Expert and Adobe Certified Print Specialist, has served as a hands-on trainer and has spoken at worldwide events and seminars including Macworld, Seybold, NAB, and PhotoshopWorld.
He worked at Adobe as the product manager for Adobe Illustrator 10 and Adobe Illustrator CS, and is the founder of Design Responsibly LLC, a company focused on consulting, training and support for designers and printers who are looking to adopt the Adobe Creative Suite.
Mordy was named a Champion of Graphic Design by Graphics IQ and has written and edited numerous books on Illustrator, as well as recorded training DVDs.
From the Back Cover
How do you define a serious Illustrator user? How about one who uses Illustrator to produce robust and professional-looking vector graphics but also needs the program to be flexible and efficient in workflow and production cycles. If this describes you or the user you strive to be, then you need this book Filled with the industrial-strength techniques and best practices required to get you up to speed fast on Illustrator CS2 without missing a beat in your production workflow, Real World Adobe Illustrator CS2 is the definitive reference for the serious Illustrator user. Thoroughly updated for this version of the software, Illustrator pro Mordy Golding offers a complete guide to the new features such as Live Trace, Live Paint, the Control Palette, Custom Workspaces, and expanded support for Mobile devices, to name a few. You'll also find practical insights on creating type, symbols, graphs, color, effects, Web graphics, and more. Along with tips, sidebars, and expert commentary, there are also numerous illustrations and screen shots included to offer readers the most complete coverage on this extraordinary application. Designers from all fields--illustrators, animators, package designers, graphic designers, web designers, and more--will find Real World Adobe Illustrator CS2 their one-stop guide to creating powerful designs in Illustrator CS2.
For more information check out Mordy's blog at http://rwillustrator.blogspot.com/.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
As a teacher, consultant, author, and former Illustrator product manager, Mordy is uniquely qualified to write a "must have" reference book on Illustrator-- and that's what the Real Wolrd Adobe Illustrator CS2 book is-- a MUST HAVE REFERENCE BOOK.
This book is SO good, and his teaching style is so accessible for difficult features, that as author of The Adobe Illustrator CS2 WOW! Book, I asked Mordy to adapt a chapter of this book to include in the current edition of our book!
If you want a reference book that covers all the technical features of Illustrator -- the Real World Illustrator CS2 Book is for you!
I initially gave this a 4 out of 5 review, but after also getting the Adobe Illustrator CS2 Wow! book I have to downgrade my rating to 2 out 5. Why?
a. The book is black and white with a small insert of color samples. I don't know about you, but unless you are just drawing a bunch of outlines and b&w sketches, a manual on graphic arts NEEDS to be in color!
b. There was no CD accompanying the book. With all the other Illustrator books out there that include CDs, I really wonder why I bought this one.
End of edits. See original review below.
I got this book because of all the 'raving' reviews on Amazon. However, while I admit the book is useful, I can only give it 4 out of 5. Why?
1. The book is in many ways just a reorganization of the Illustrator help file with short examples. Therefore, if you have a printed version of the Adobe help then you probably don't need this book, unless you need the short examples which the Adobe help is short on.
2. The book is very short on involved or advanced examples. Instead what you get are simple, unconnected demonstrations of Illustrator's more obvious features and as soon as the book gets to something more advanced, e.g. outline strokes, all you get is some brief text. This is all VERY odd in my opinion for a book targeting visual learners.
3. The claim on the cover that the book is 'loaded with expert tips' is simply not true in my opinion. Sure there are a few, here and there scattered about, but the examples are too simple to be of any use in highlighting what I would consider 'best practice insights.'
4. What the book really needs is a methodical tutorial that brings it all together: vectors, text, meshes, 3D, color, etc. Here's a novel idea: a tutorial that walks you through recreating the cover graphic!
OK, that may sound a little harsh even though I am giving it 4 stars. But I think buyers need to know what to expect.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computing & Internet > Hardware
- Books > Computing & Internet > PC & Video Games
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Business & Home Office
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Desktop Publishing
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > 3-D Graphics > 3D Studio Max
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > 3-D Graphics > Maya
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > Image Manipulation & Creation