on 22 April 2012
I bought this play as a director of a amateur theatre group. We were considering the work as one we might put on. It is an enjoyable play with an unexpected, if potentially confusing, twist.
on 8 April 2013
great play with a lot of humour. I am in production now playing Moon and am thoroughly enjoying the play and the role. It is a very easy play to produce but very difficult to bring it up to a good standard. From an actors point of view one needs to be precise on cues as much of the play is meant to be in the auditorium of a theatre
on 18 February 2014
my ameture group are putting this on later in year and will not be auditioning as not my cup of tea I am sure lots of people will however
on 13 August 2000
The great British genre, the whoodunnit, is lampooned to perfection, along with a mickey-take of the theatre industry in Tom Stoppard's "The Real Inspector Hound". Set as a play within a play, with two theatre critics observing and contributing to the story, "The Real Inspector Hound" is a play better seen than read. Anyone reading or viewing this fantastic play will probably be reminded of the old Sherlock Holmes films; imagine these with hammy over-acting and great one-liners, resulting in quite simply, a very funny play. To be honest, there are so many good things that I want to say about this book, that for every point I make, i'll be leaving ten out. Honestly, read it and you will love it.
9 people found this helpful
on 12 August 2004
Never has such a play captured my imagination. Last year I starred as the role of Birdboot in this extremely intelligent comedy in my school play. Upon reading the script for the first time I was confused beyond belief because of it's complicated structure. However once we ran through it for the first time it's blatent ingenuity of parody became apparent. It effectively it runs off a play within a play and the two critics who watch tbe play, the hopeless romantic Moon and the ever sleazy Birdboot. The play they are watching is a classic murder mystery which shows the ridiculous nature with which murder mysteries are created and provides countless laughs for the audience. The Real Inspector Hound also shows funny elements of everyday life such as:
Birdboot: Chocolate?
Moon:What kind?
Birdboot: Black Magic.
Monn: I'll have montelimar.
Birdboot: Ah sorry. (Poniting to mouth)
Moon:Turkish Delight? Cherry Liquor? pape Neuf de 55 Cracknell?
Birdboot: Afraid not. Caramel?
The Real Inspector Hound also has rather sinister undertones which become apparent as the critics become absorbed into the play they are watching, however I shan't reveal the entire plot as that would ruin the play. If you can appreciate good theatre then I would recommend reading this or seeing a production of it to absorb the true magic of Stoppard. This is also an extremely good play for school production as our's went down extremely well. A true masterpiece.
5 people found this helpful
on 24 September 2000
For the past year me and my English A-Level class have been pulled lengthways through the gloomy region of Egdon Heath and various other bits of Wessex, dragged screaming in torment through Denmark and the nature of Kingship, battered through the 1920s and East and West Egg. And then we were given this. We laughed! Oh how we laughed! Farcical, satirical, blessed, blessed relief, it was. To say lines with genuine enthusiasm for the content is quite a new idea for us, but this play opened it all up. Cool.
4 people found this helpful
on 1 April 2001
It is rare to find an HSC text which sends fifteen seventeen-year-olds into hysterics, whilst their teacher howls with laughter along with them. Stoppard is fantastic, and everyone can enjoy this play whether of literary persuasion or not. It is impossible to keep a straight face.
One person found this helpful
on 3 November 2003
As a lover of Agatha Christie-style murders, this funny, satirical play kept me entertained the whole way through. True, I may be biased because I happen to be playing Lady Cynthia in my university production, but so much time spent with the script has made me appreciate Tom Stoppard's wit and humour. Every time I read this play I pick up those subtle little bits that Stoppard slipped in in his ingenious way.
For anyone who loves satires, British crime comedies, or just a fun read, The Real Inspector Hound is a play that you shouldn't miss.
2 people found this helpful
on 18 November 2005
Last year, I and my fellow pupils did this play. It was hilariously funny. I played Cynthia, the beautiful man-eater. I recommend this to everyone. It has a great atmosphere about it.
One person found this helpful