- Paperback: 444 pages
- Publisher: Routledge; 1 edition (2 Oct. 2000)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0415159881
- ISBN-13: 978-0415159883
- Product Dimensions: 15.6 x 2.5 x 23.4 cm
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 1,935,970 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Readings in Late Antiquity: A Sourcebook Paperback – 2 Oct 2000
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
There is a newer edition of this item:
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
"Undergraduate or seminary instructors gathering ancient texts for course packets ought to consider using this splendid anthology of exerpts from letters, histories, treatises, sermons, and law codes. -Religious Studies Review
About the Author
Rice University, Texas, USA --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta) (May include reviews from Early Reviewer Rewards Program)
I was glad to see that Readings in Late Antiquity doesn't ignore the changes that occurred in the Middle East, especially the rise of Islam, and contains a number of readings pertaining to the topic. However, the Middle East is by no means the focus, and Readings does a good job of mixing Roman-esque authors like Vegetius, religious authorities, and government communications.
The editing was very well done. I never thought that the the passage selected was unrepresentative of the work, or that editing skewed the intent of the original. Supremely helpful introductions to each section and each passage provided the big picture and connected the dots between readings.
All in all, a very informative and well-edited compilation.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners
- Books > History > Ancient History & Civilisation > Rome
- Books > History > World History
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Academic Philosophy
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Philosophy
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Cultural Studies