Reading Stories for Comprehension Success: Senior High Level Reading, Level 10-12 Spiral-bound – 4 Nov 2000
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
For classroom reading teachers and specialists, this unique resource is one of four volumes of "Reading Stories for Comprehension Success" packed with ready–to–use story lessons and activities for building students′ reading, comprehension, and writing skills in grades 1 through 12.
Volume I, PRIMARY LEVEL, presents 45 detailed lessons, reproducible story selections and questions, and related activities for reading grade levels 1, 2, and 3.
Volume II, INTERMEDIATE LEVEL, presents 45 detailed lessons, reproducible story selections and questions, and related activities for reading grade levels 4, 5, and 6.
Volume III, JUNIOR HIGH LEVEL, presents 45 detailed lessons, reproducible story selections an questions, and related activities for reading levels 7, 8, and 9.
Volume IV, SENIOR HIGH LEVEL, presents 45 detailed lessons, reproducible story selections an questions, and related activities for reading levels 10, 11, and 12.
The story lessons and activities in both volumes are designed with modifications for the learning disabled built in. They can be used with all regular and special students in any basal or whole language reading program, and help increase students′ confidence, interest, and involvement in learning while growing comprehension skills.
You′ll find 15 story lessons at each grade level, all printed in a big 8–1/4" x 11" format for easy photocopying of the stories, questions, and accompanying tests and student data sheets. Each story lesson is organized into the following sections:
- About the Story: A brief overview introduces the story′s topic, e.g., "Fast–Food Computers" (Reading Level 2) or "The Mystery of St. Elmo′s Fire" (Reading Level 4).
- Preview Words: A helpful word list introduces students to any unfamiliar vocabulary.
- Books to Read: Recommended books relate to the subject of the story lesson.
- Videos/CD′s, Records & Cassettes: These additional resources will help get students hooked into the story lesson.
- Introductory Activities: Role–playing, card games, crafts projects, and other activities familiarize students with the topics of the story.
- The Story: Each factual story is designed to capture and hold students′ interest and is accompanied by a reproducible full–page picture.
- Questions: Specially designed comprehension questions require students to think out their answer and respond with complete, written sentences.
- Extension Activities: Projects, plays, and a variety of other activities allow the student to experience the subject beyond the story.
Each grade–level volume also includes a special introduction offering detailed suggestions for using "Reading Stories for Comprehension Success" with students of all abilities. This covers teaching strategies, reading ability guidelines, sentence writing lessons, and directions for effective use of the pre–tests, teacher lesson plans, and student data sheets.
In short, "Reading Stories for Comprehension Success" gives you a single developmental program you can use with all of the regular and special students in your classroom. It provides maximum flexibility in lesson preparation and the freedom to base each lesson on your students′ needs.
About the Author
Katherine Hall received her B.A. in Elementary Education from the University of Texas at El Paso. She has worked with elementary students for many years as a first grade, ESL, and resource room teacher. Ms. Hall was an active member of the Texas State Council for the International Reading Association for over ten years and has presented various teacher inservice workshops. She has published articles in several magazines and currently tutors students at the elementary through college levels.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education Studies & Teaching > School Education & Teaching > Lesson planning > Teaching of Specific Subjects
- Books > Languages > English as a Foreign Language > Literacy
- Books > Reference > Language
- Books > Reference > Publishing & Books > Literacy
- Books > School Books > Secondary
- Books > Science & Nature > Education
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Education Studies