- Save 10% on Books for Schools offered by Amazon.co.uk when you purchase 10 or more of the same book. Here's how (terms and conditions apply) Enter code SCHOOLS2016 at checkout. Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
Reading Middle English Literature: An Introduction (Wiley Blackwell Introductions to Literature) Paperback – 15 Nov 2010
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
Reading Middle English Literature is a study of English literature written in the four centuries following the Norman Conquest. Written by the well–known medievalist Thorlac Turville–Petre, it demonstrates that Middle English literature is much more accessible than is often supposed and provides the guidance that modern readers need to come to an informed appreciation of the writings of medieval England.
The book focuses on the representative selection of texts in A Book of Middle English (Third Edition, Blackwell, 2005), ensuring that readers have easy access to the primary material under discussion. It offers new and detailed readings of these texts in light of attitudes to the language, the means of book–production, the society for which the texts were written, concepts of history and romance, the religious practices of the age, and ideals of love and marriage.
About the Author
Thorlac Turville–Petre is Professor of Medieval English Literature at the University of Nottingham. His previous publications include England the Nation (1996) and (with J. A. Burrow) A Book of Middle English (Third Edition, Blackwell, 2005).
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Norman and Medieval 1001-1500
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Scotland
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Wales
- Books > History > Europe > Vikings, Dark Ages, Medieval Europe 501-1500
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > History & Criticism > Literary Theory & Movements
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Sociology