on 17 February 2016
Good book
on 12 December 2015
good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 March 2016
Arrived perfect, some days before the deadline... Thanks...
on 8 February 2012
I was inspired to read and review this book after I saw a Kress AND van Leeuwen book with 2 stars... and I was right, it was a terrible review!

I read this book just to confirm what I'd assumed - this is a very strong account of the area by two scholars whose work is worth attention... and I'm very glad I did! I found their arguments interesting, compelling and sprinkled with a level of conceptual thought that can be taken into other areas of life and other fields.

The other reviewer complained about the language - I didn't have to read one sentence twice, and it isn't really my field (but is closely related). I would perhaps add the advice that if you don't know the terminology associated with this area, you might want to have a dictionary in the background. If you don't like long sentences, read a book that's less likely to have sub-clauses (Divinci Code has symbols in). I actually think that it is very clearly written for those studying this area whether under/post-grad or researcher.
on 7 February 2009
This book is a well-structured, coherent read for everyone studying arts, semiotics, media or visual psychology. It puts theory of different academic research areas into a clear context. It avoids jargon and offers great links to further readings.

Illustrations are sufficient, all relevant theories are included. Yet, if you are doing your dissertation on a related topic, you may want to buy a more in-depth book. Anyhow, a great introductory text!
on 4 May 2009
The book arrived puctually and safely so my review is of the book rather than the service provided by the book seller.
i think it would be helpful if one was given an exerpt from the book such as 1)a typical sentence and/ or2) maybe the table of contents.
The book is very badly written, in my view, with its long, obtuse, convoluted sentences.This is is doubly unfortunate because semiotics as a subject is difficult.I feel I had to do a huge amount of work to make sense of it. It would be better if edited to half its length.