Reading Series Fiction: From Arthur Ransome to Gene Kemp Paperback – 17 Aug 2000
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"This is a refreshingly original for children's literary studies, being one of the first to look in detail at a surprisingly neglected phenomenon: series fiction.Watson's writing is always exciting, not only for its insights but also for the graceful way in which he expresses them, often recreating the frisson of the ideas themselves.."
-Children's Literature Association Quarterly, 2001
About the Author
Victor Watson is Assistant Director of Research at Homerton College, University of Cambridge, and a Trustee of the Centre for the Children's Book.
Top Customer Reviews
I particularly relished the Forest section ("Jane Austen has Gone Missing") and found myself mentally cheering at his conclusion that her work should never have gone out of print. His deep reading also helps explain why her work continues to attract something of a cult following despite publishers' mis-marketing.
Elsewhere, Watson's account of Enid Blyton's enduring success is amusing. Whilst sharing teacherly distaste at her lack of literary quality, he feels he must also account for her phenomenal sales. "Claiming a place for children's reading choices" indeed!
Overall, this (fairly slender) tome is well worth its price tag. I was introduced to new authors, past and present, and was given fresh insight into those writers whose work I already enjoy.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education Studies & Teaching > School Education & Teaching > Lesson planning > Teaching Aids & Educational Material
- Books > Education Studies & Teaching > School Education & Teaching > Lesson planning > Teaching of Specific Subjects
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > History & Criticism > Children's Literature Studies
- Books > Science & Nature > Education
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Education Studies
- Books > Young Adult