on 18 March 2017
This was my second mechanical keyboard which i ever bought. This replaces my previous blackwidow which i sold to buy this one. This is one of the last ones to be made with cherry mx switches, and its a real shame that they have started producing their own inferior switches but this board is a real beast.
on 17 April 2014
First of all, yes it is VERY expensive and not much of an upgrade from the original blackwidow but... It's just so damn sexy!

PROS:
1. The black matte finish looks so nice, it will no longer pick up on finger prints.
2. It has Cherry MX Blue switches feels fantastic, and all of the keys have them.
3. The back-light... The back-light is REALLY good. With the green back-plate there it makes it look fantastic.
4. Very sturdy and solid
5. And more, but most of the other things come as a standard for most mechanical keyboards.

CONS:
None apart from the expensive price, you can get better keyboards for this price.

The reason i bought this keyboard and not, lets say the corsair k95 is because of the key switches. I personally prefer blue switches and not reds. I buy mechanical keyboards for the loudness and tactile feedback.

Overall do i recommend this keyboard?

Yes - if you want solid tactile feedback and loud "clickyness"
No - if you want something more silent (go for a keyboard with reds)
on 30 April 2014
A simple, stable, clicky mechanical keyboard. Offers no real ergonomic twists (like a split keyboard and such) but is ergonomic none-the-less. Easy to actuate, the mechanical keys feel of nothing but quality and the green backlight can be ramped to light most small rooms. The keys are easy to remove for cleaning and easy to snap back on afterwards (providing you don't mess up the positioning... or lose one...). But the premium you pay for the backlight is fairly steep... I haven't used the macro buttons yet, but I assume they work fine.
on 16 November 2014
Bought as a gift, well received and good build quality.
on 7 November 2013
This keyboard is well worth its cost. Keys are super responsive, beautifully individually lit with Green LEDs (can't change colour), has a really nice black matt coating and linked with Razors Synapse 2.0 can customise many aspects of the board (LED brightness, key configurations, profiles, ect).
on 20 August 2013
I love the Sound of this Keyboard as I type away and my lodger complains regulary about it being rediculous. It's not rediculous, its awesome. As with all Razer products quality is top notch and they keyboard has a sturdy feel, I would however get the stealth version if you plan on using it when other people in the house are sleeping though.
on 1 January 2013
Buying a new keyboard was a hard task, especially with the many different options available. I figured that I would want a keyboard for life, or at least for a sufficient amount of time without having to upgrade due to a faulty key or snagged cable. This, being the main reason, was the sole reason for choosing a mechanical keyboard.

So the Razer Blackwidow ultimate 2013 appeared within my quest for a keyboard; admittedly, the price at the time was nearer to £120 when I did a little research behind it and made my comparisons with other mechanical backlit keyboards (such as the Corsair CH-9000003-UK Vengeance K90 and the Qpad MK-80 Pro Gaming Back-lit Mechanical Keyboard). After a vast amount of time (as £120 is by no means cheap) I plucked the courage and bought the Blackwidow.

The keyboard arrived a couple of days after Christmas, all wrapped and parcelled nicely within a cushioned box. Inside lay the Razer Blackwidow, nicely packaged in the traditional Razer fashion (the brightest green interior you can imagine). Enclosed with the Blackwidow itself were a certificate proving authenticity, 2 Razer Stickers, a quick start manual and some more in-depth manuals providing the high-tech specifications. The keyboard itself has one braided cable, which is strongly fixed into the main body. Anyone who is clumsy, or as in my case has a million cables around their computer can sleep easy knowing that this thing will not be broken with snagging. The braided cable is long, breaking off into four points towards the end. These are 2 Gold plated USB's (one is for the keyboard port and one is for the pass-through which allows use of the USB which is on the right hand side), 1 Gold plated 2.5mm Audio Jack and 1 Gold plated 2.5mm Microphone Jack, which also seem to be of good quality so far. After plugging my keyboard in, using all the provided cables, I plugged my microphone and headset into the right and side of the keyboard and downloaded the Razer Synapses 2.0 software from their website. The keyboard itself was a joy to set up, no messing around and no confusing software, just simple plug download and go. I should say however that I have yet to use the five customisable macro keys down the far left hand side of the keyboard, so this should be something I should attempt, however it doesn't look hard to customise them from what I have seen.

Anyway, let's talk about the keyboard itself, what does it look like? Well, Razer has gone for the matte finish on the 2013 model... thank the lord! The 2012 model by all means was a fingerprint magnet, so I can only smile at this choice. The keyboard is heavy, 1.5kg in-fact, so this for me is also a positive aspect as you know it isn't going to slide around when you are gaming. To be quite honest, the build quality alone justifies its weight as it is constructed of a combination of metal and plastic.

So what does the Ultimate version offer over the Standard Razer Blackwidow? Well, to answer your question... lights! Big green lights everywhere! The back-lighting is the extra addition that gives the ultimate its name. Now £30 for back-lighting is expensive, this we all know, but regardless of the fact that I am going to try justify this a bit with some things I pondered about when making comparisons between the two. This keyboard, personally, was intended to last me a long time, so back-lighting was a little touch that I could afford and thought necessary for times where lighting is next to nothing. After all these years using keyboards, I am ashamed to say that I still find it difficult to navigate around the keyboard with little light, so again, this made my decision a little easier. To add to this, it looks great, the green back-lighting looks amazing when set to the maximum setting (which I think is of ten levels). A final thing I will add which influenced my choice towards the ultimate was the laser etching. As each key is individually backlit (besides the function key), there is no chance of the lettering rubbing off, so again this swayed my decision also.

The Blackwidow and the Blackwidow Ultimate both use Cherry MX Blue switches, which are renowned for the 'chunk' or 'clicking' sound that you can hear when pressing below the actuation point. This again, I love. The sound is great, you really know when you have pressed a key... this may sound silly and slightly obvious, but I read many of times about the feeling of typing on a mechanical keyboard which use these switches and all I can say is they were right. I can say however, if you have a family member who is a light sleeper, consider this as they really are loud, there is no exaggeration here... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED LADIES AND GENTS! The final thing I will add is the gaming mode, which enables you to customise which keys are unavailable whilst in it. As many gamers who read this may know, that windows key feels like it becomes ten times its original size when gaming, so it is a relief to know I can programme it to switch off.

So it seems like there are a lot of pro's, and after thinking hard I think it is safe to say that I can only think of one slight little niggle. There is a little play with the larger keys such as the enter (UK version) and the space bar, meaning it does wobble slightly when you try to. This doesn't bother myself, however, I know it may really annoy others out there so I thought it would be worth a mention.

All in all, I really do like the keyboard, Razer have definitely provided a nice and solid mechanical keyboard that I know will last me a long time. For some, it may not be necessary to spend the £30 to get the back-lighting, but I do like it, I guess it is preference. Razer have provided a lot of good products to the market, I myself have a Razer Deathadder so I guess this also lead me into buying the Blackwidow over other keyboards. Definitely something I would recommend.
66 Comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 June 2013
The Razer Blackwidow 2013 is not my first mechanical keyboard, however it is the best one I have used so far.

The pros include:
-Really good backlight (the green panel behind the keys helps to enchancee the backlight). You can adjust how bright you wsnt it to be, so should fit everyones expectations
-Good to write on. You will definitely see your typing speed improve if you have never used a mechanical keyboard.
-Great build quality, therefore I expect it to last for a long time.
- Cherry MX Blue switches, which are the best ones to have in a mechanical keyboard in my opinion (if you want to game on it)
And many more...
As for cons there is a few :
-First if all if you live with your parents and need to be quiet, THIS IS NOT A KEYBOARD FOR YOU, because the switches are really loud. Afterall the cherry MX Blue switches do have this characteristic.
- Another con that can be named with this keyboard is the placement of the macro keys. You will find yourself confused in the first few days because when trying to reach Ctrl, or Shift you will press the macro keys.

Overall I think that the Razer BlackWidow 2013 is a keyboard worth looking at when you are trying to find a good gaming mechanical keyboard.
Highly reccomend to all of the people being stuck which keyboard to choose. May seem expensive, but believe me its worth the money.
on 15 March 2013
As a computer technician and a gamer... I go use ohh so many keyboards in my days. I got my Blackwidow not too long ago and the first thing I realised... It has some real good weight to it. It feels strong and well made. They key switches were a lot louder then what I originally thought they would be, of which I really don't care about I find the sound highly satisfying! The instant I plugged the Keyboard and turned the backlighting up to full, I was just in love with the glow! It's so bright and vibrant. Overall;
+ Fast to Type on
+ Incredibly high quality build
+ Lovely 20 ish levels of intensity on the backlight
+ 5 Dedicated macro switches.
Basically everything is lovely and I can't fault it!
on 3 November 2013
The ultimate in mechanical switch keyboard, with one big issue (for right handed people).
Pro:
+ The best keyboard i ever had.
+ the five macro keys
+ LED back-lighting for each key (choose different levels)
+ the ability to shut off each individual key.
Con:
- the clicks make a nice (loud) sound.

The big issue with this keyboard is that is has on the right(hand) side the connector for the usb and the audio out and the mic in, but that's area where the razer mouse lives!
Or did i miss somewhere the razer black widdow for tight hand people :-)
So to overcome this issue i bought a external Creative Sound Blaster USB Premium HD Soundcard :-)