on 16 June 2011
I really like Kate's books very much, but sucker me bought 2 of this publication (1 for me, 1 for a pal) purely for the cake recipe on the front....I should have read all the reviews, because NO, the cake recipe is NOT included :-(
The cover gave me the impression the recipe was inside, so I purchased on a whim and then, darn it :-( no cake recipe.

Returned the books as I really like Kate's other books, (Eat Smart Eat Raw doesn't require lots of expensive and harder to source superfoods, which are lovely, but not something we can all can buy every day), and I only bought this for one reason!

Publisher, play fair with us, it's a little bit cheeky, and even misrepresentative of the books content, plastering THAT TEMPTING IMAGE ON THE FRONT :-)
on 2 June 2008
All the recipes I have tried so far taste very, very good. I have really enjoyed making them as they are sooo easy. The photos are colourful and bright and I really love the little bits of wisdom thrown in. I feel energised eating these superfood recipes and I cannot believe that she has devised recipes that contain spirullina that actually taste nice! She does recommend using an expensive high powered blender but I have found that my cheap little compact food processor works just as well. My favourite recipe so far is the cacao pasta sauce..........it tastes divine!!
on 21 August 2008
Raw Magic: Recipes for the Revolution

Although the recipies in this book are great, I did fell a little cheated..

I bought this book because I wanted a healthy chocolate cake recipe.

Before purchasing I saw the picture of the cake on the front cover, and knew it was Kate's famous Quantum Cake. I checked in the Contents Section where it was listed (page 220) great I thought, and bought the book.

I Felt a bit cheated when the book arrived. I turned to page 220 where Kate announces that she has not included this recipe (even though she uses a photograph of said cake to sell her book) She goes on to say, that if you want one you can buy one from her website!

I just thought this was rather mean and not in the spirit of JOY, LOVE, and HARMONY that Kate advocates. Come on Kate, spill the beans. How do you make that lovely chocolate cake?
1010 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 22 August 2009
The raw breakfast cereal recipe in Raw Magic with dehydrated sprouted buckwheat is completely addictive and her Olive Ciabbata bread I take to work and it's devoured by all the non-raw foodies... It only gets 4 stars because there are so many foods you have to buy before you can do any of the recipes... lucuma, cocoa nibs, mesquite, etc etc. It's not something you can whip up out of your kitchen cupboard (unless you're already living raw and have all these to hand). But it's definitely worth buying them as they are yummy healthy and I don't miss cocoa pops at all.
on 3 August 2008
This raw food book hits the spot and will inspire me to stay on the raw food path. Not totally 100% raw and vegan as it includes bee pollen, honey, miso and tamari in some recipes which I love because it is not one of those 100% vegan raw books (which I own). The addition of a few cooked
goodies adds a sprinkle of magic to the recipes and awakens the taste buds.
Packed full of superfoods, small amount of recipes with fruit and nuts in. Oh and if you love cacao this is the book for you.
on 9 August 2008
I love this book - the photos add greatly to the book and were lacking in Kate's last book. The recipes are great, although I find I sometimes have to adjust quantities for my current taste. I love the way that cacao is used in savoury recipes and I recommend Green Gloop which mixes Spirulina in a sweet pudding.

Yes Kate does use some ingredients that are not strictly raw, but with raw food being so creative and intuative Im sure stricter raw foodists can adapt the recipes as they need.

I love to 'read' through this book and look at the pictures as I decide what I want for tea. If you are a standard 'meat and two veg' eater, then this book might take some getting used to - but try some of the recipes and see how you feel.
on 4 July 2011
I wish I had not wasted my money buying this book. Most of the recipes require obscure ingredients that can only be bought online and can be expensive. This is inconvenient, time consuming and expensive. The photographs in the book do not appeal to me; most of the images of the recipes are taken very close up which gives little idea how the finished product will look when served up. In fact some of the images just look like coloured cow pats. There are many pictures of Kate which I am not interested in seeing. One image shows the recipe spread between a pair of breasts!! I am a lady in my fifties and find this distasteful. I have bought books by Shazzie, Karen Knowler and Ani Phyo and would definately recommend them instead, as the recipes are all delicious and the ingredients easy to source or buy from a local supermarket or health food store. The images in their books are also very professional and pleasing to look at (I love Shazzie's drawings). I wish I had returned this book as soon as it arrived.
on 16 November 2009
I bought this book because I am interested in increasing the amount of raw food in my diet. And it has been a very interesting read. However, a huge number of the recipes require quite obscure incredients like lucuma and maca powder, which can be ordered off the internet (sites given in the book) but at fairly steep prices (shipped in from Peru). The author is a great believer in "superfoods" but not your average broccoli and blueberry type, but seaweeds, goji berries, raw cocao nibs, lucuma, maca, etc. A dehydrator is also a good idea, which I haven't got yet so that rules out quite a lot of recipes (but that is not unusual for a raw cookbook). I have made a couple of the recipes and they are delicious even if they take a bit of getting used to! I would recommend this book to people seriously interested in raw food and health, with a bit of money to play with.
on 11 July 2009
I have only just started to consider raw and have read several books - but this one has truly inspired me.

I think it helps if you are open minded to the philosophies promoted by books like The Secret, but I could not help being drawn into her world - it is a beautiful book with lovely photography.

The recipes are achievable - there are possibly less of them than in some books - but that somehow makes it less daunting.

There is plenty of detail on specific superfoods in the front - which I welcome as I keep forgetting what I should be eating and why!

Most importantly - she says its ok to have chocolate for breakfast! (see book for details!)

If you are struggling - buy this!
on 19 August 2009
This book is nicely illustrated and contains MORE than enough recipe suggestions to make the transition to a raw food diet sustainable.