Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.79

on 3 April 2014
Whilst respecting others’ opinions, I always choose to form my own. Why, as a long-time successful and respected journalist, had she chosen to write a book on such an intimate subject? When I first heard about it my reaction was: 'Not for me'! Then I read the reviews of the book on this site and my initial reaction became tempered. What right had I to reach such a decision without - at the very least - basing my aforementioned comment on fact rather than conjecture?

I have now read Monica Porter’s book and take great pleasure in awarding the good lady the maximum five stars. What caused me to totally change my mind? It’s that she has the balls (forgive the expression but – although they are not physically present, her quota far exceeds the average male’s) – to relate her story in a totally honest manner, sparing no blushes, so that the great British public are educated on a subject that the majority would not even know existed. Her entertaining literary style and subtle humour shine through.

I have no intention of going into detail but suffice to say that we males should take note of how our actions, words and characters are - in my opinion - very accurately and cleverly assessed by one clever lady.
on 4 March 2015
10/10 for the book. brave, witty in places, honest and why the hell should'nt she have some fun, age regardless.
if this book were written by a 20 or 30 something lady then it would likely be vitriolic, condemnatory and pretty wicked about men (young or old !!). in monicas hands, the book is none of these things even though she gives accounts of a couple of somewhat terrorising encounters. she is pretty good natured about all of it and her wisdom and femanine understanding shine through as befits her age and mature learned outlook which comes across as something of an asset. i had originally hoped for a graphic and highly descriptive shag fest but it is not this at all but respectfully informative and enlightening. perhaps her critics ( and there have been many unpleasant ones !!) should look forward to their own twilight years in utter celibant empty loneliness as seems to be the cultural norm. sex is a major facet of being a human and i see no reason at all why it should cease to be an activity for older people; monica proves it can be done !!.

i bet oaps who are sexually active have far better mental health than those who physically can but simply dont create or pursue opportunities for encounters.

its about time someone wrote about the needs and desires of ladies in later life stages. the equipment may have a bit more wear and tear but i bet the desires and urges are just as powerful as when they were young.
on 17 March 2014
After reading articles about it online,i knew i had to buy the book.
It gives readers a very good perspective on internet dating whilst admiring Ravens courage as she gives younger females a run for their money in the world of online dating.
A well written book filled with excitement and spice - loved it!
I enjoyed the book as I could relate to it completely after having same kind of experiences....minus the strangler!
I would recommend it to any woman of a certain age thinking of giving the internet dating a try.
I gave it a five star as I think it's a very true account and found it exciting,thrilling and both dark and light in places.
Well written Monica.
77 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 March 2015
Monica Porter is one brave and intelligent woman. Her considerable talent and humor shines through in this very readable account of her dating escapades. I would reccommend it to all women who have ever been out there on the dating scene, internet or otherwise.

The one probelm I had with Porter's story is how could such an intelligent and interesting woman enjoy dating such boring, desperate and crude men? It seems to me that at least 60% of her 'romantic' encounters were either completely unattractive, didn't even bother to show up or else so desperate for sex that they would shag absolutely anyone. Hardly behaviour that would inspire the author to feel like some kind of femme fatale! I actually found the discriptions of the men Porter dated rather depressing. I was left feeling quite negative about the male of the species.

Many of the conversations detailed in the book between Porter and her so-called 'dates' left me cold. These men just seemed so one-dimesional and callous. They came accross as extremely disinterested in the author, for anything other than sex. Which I suppose is the point that Porter is trying to make. She herself takes pains to explain that she was also mainly interested in no-strings-attached sex, although her words did not ring true to me. I kind of felt that she really was looking for a happily-ever-after.
on 10 May 2014
read about this lady in the Daily Mail ,and thought what a brave Lady to reveal such an intamate side of her.
I couldnt put the book down once i started to read it ,im a slow reader but i manged to read this book in a day .
Thankyou a must read without judgment .
on 13 November 2014
I know Raven and her 'dating-guru' Vanessa: funnily enough I met them in an Aqua Aerobics class in our local gym. They're nice women, both of them, and this is how I came to the novel. I finished it in two hours. It's well-written: clear and coherent in its use of language and there's never any ambiguity about what the author is saying. It is cut-and-dried searing honesty all the way through. It's very readable, cracks on at a pace and left me, frankly, shocked. I've had to re-assess myself. I fancied myself a man-of-the-world, but sexually I'm still in the kindergarten when it comes to some of the antics in this tale. My word! This on-line dating world has got some goings-on!
For my part I've learnt a few things: if you want to meet potential partners stick to the bars, the libraries and the dog-walking circuit. I would say gyms, but was led to believe that Aqua Aerobics was a safe exercise option. I'm not so sure now ...

Both funny and disturbing - a five star read.

Note - the review headline isn't me, it's a quote from the novel that had me laughing out loud.
on 7 March 2015
Up until a few weeks ago, I had never heard of Monica Porter, but happened to come across an extract from 'My year of dating dangerously' online, and straight away was drawn to it. As a fan of older women myself, it comes as no surprise to learn that I was intrigued by what Monica had experienced, so much so that I had to buy the book! And I'm so glad I did! Despite it's controversial subject, it gives not only a good insight into the sometimes daunting world of internet dating, but also enlightens the reader into some of the characters that Monica meets along the way! Not everyone will see it in the same light as me, but so far I have found it impossible to put down and I can't wait to see what happens next!

Monica Porter, I salute you!
on 17 March 2014
I bought this on Kindle first and now ordered the paperback ! It is a very well written piece of art :) highly addictive and you can,t stop reading it once you pick it up ! just wish there would be a second book ha!
on 19 March 2014
This book is an unbelievably honest account of her year of living dangerously, apart from the fact that it is a truthful and beautifully written book which compels you to turn just one more page until you realise you've finished!, another thing worthy of consideration is the courage it took for this lady to write this book, as it plays right into the hands of the small minded and the judge-mental alike!

However once you have embraced this book for what it is, which is an extremely honest and open account of life on e dating sites, it opens up a fascinating insight into whats really going on whether you're mentally mature enough to accept it or not.
Its not for the weak of mind or captains of the world that feel that they need to comment or judge everything that crosses their path. Read and enjoy.