on 1 February 2014
Have recently finished this book, but had to review my history before I could remember the title! This means the book is almost instantly forgettable. As for the story itself it is reasonable enough with twists and turns along the way to keep up ones interest. Other reviewers have alluded to the main characters superhuman abilities. This was a constant source of annoyance; as every time one of these incidents occurred I found myself having to reread half a page at least, as I had read the previous section without taking anything in from thinking about the absurdity of the incident.
Another thing which I found seriously annoying is the deliberate use of an incorrect adjective; there are many examples of these throughout the book, but the one which annoyed me the most was the use of the word splashed when the correct adjective would have been scattered. Splashed is used in connection with a liquid, broken glass is a solid! This may sound a bit picky, but I do like to read proper English.
22 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 April 2017
Definitely an excellent Ratcatcher! John Purkiss is superbly crafted spy. I'm recommending this series and I plan to read the full series soon. I was engaged by the characters and want to read more! If you like spy thrillers then this book is for you
on 6 November 2015
First time reading one of Tim Stevens Books and I was very impressed indeed. Well written, great plot and very believable characters. Pity he killed Abi of as she could have developed just like her namesake in NCIS. I look forward to reading more of his books.
on 13 July 2015
Was a great read, and being based in Tallinn, where I also live, a very pleasant surprise. Twists that take you right through to the end.....

Would I read more....of course.
on 8 April 2015
Imagine all the chases, fights, and near death experiences of every Bond film ever made rolled into one. This is the result! If you want pure escapism then this might fit the bill, but if you want something a little more plausible and with a modicum of depth, then look elsewhere.
on 18 January 2014
Great piece of fiction that races from one challenge for the protagonist (Purkiss) to another. Well scripted, well paced and an all action book that I would recommend. Surprising information at the end and am a bit sorry his original adversary won't be in the next book! Suffice to say I will be reading other books by this author.
on 19 July 2014
As the rating say, it's ok, not the best i've ever read in my life but not the worst, i think it could have been more creative, it's a classic story with east country stuff, bad guys and somebody the character love's who has been killed when they were on the field together. So now it's revenge's time.
on 3 April 2017
fair read
on 24 April 2017
A gripping book. Some of the situations he fights himself out of are a little far fetched - he must be super human. Nevertheless, a good read.
on 30 October 2015
Thank you Tim for a fabulous nail biting read, kept me awake a few nights reluctant to put it down. Never sussed the true Jacobin until the "reveal" looking forward to your other titles