Format: DVD|Change

on 26 August 2014
Perhaps the best animated film of all time, well deserving of many repeat viewings. Much enhanced by 3D. However--disc was described as all region, and in fact turned out to be Region B locked, and not viewable with most US players. Fortunately I have access to an all region player, so was not a problem, but this misinformation must be corrected on your site!
on 27 December 2007
This was the best family film I saw all year in 2007. What seems at first a simple story about a rat who wants to cook, turns out in fact to be something more, deeper and more subtle. It was funny, charming, and also very touching. The animation was truly stunning and both my husband and children aged 5 and 8 loved it. Wonderful.
on 15 October 2011
Whilst I shalln't go into a great deal of depth regarding the actual film (all other reviews have focused on this in great depth so please refer to those!) I'll simply tell you it's more of that Pixar brilliance you come to expect from the guys with the little lamp!

I wanted to focus on one tiny aspect of this Blu-Ray which very few have mentioned (perhaps they don't know it's there!) and that is the calibration tool provided on this disk! Now, for the technophobes out there when you receive your HDTV it's all shiny and nice and the picture quality is most probably good. But in order to get the very most out of your Blu-Ray films and HD Games you need to play around with some of the more in-depth settings in your TV's menu. This can be confusing if you've never done it before however included in the special features of this disk is an easy to follow guide on how to do this! Spend 5 minutes tweaking the settings as you're told to by the disk and your viewing experience (Visual & Audio) will be GREATLY improved!

I think that this alone is a great reason to buy this blu-ray as some calibration disks can cost crazy amounts! So at the very least rent this blu-ray!

Once again, great film but a brilliant little tool that will change the way you view all of your films!

If you have any questions add a comment to this review and I'll get back to you ASAP!
on 15 February 2008
I was less than enthusiastic when my husband brought this one home, but what a magical few hours it turned out to be. I adored this tale of Remy, his wonderful clan, acerbic father, genial, dotty brother and all. The human characters were equally as warmly portrayed, genuinely likeable. The villains had a touch of style, too. And there were many moments that had myself and my husband laughing out loud, some of them very subtle. (I loved the fact that the rats, when threatened, ran TO the boats, for example. A fun twist on rats leaving sinking ships!) I even cried at the happy ending. One we'll watch again. Treat yourselves!
on 29 August 2014
Loved the movie. The 3D is worth the money but the disc isn't listed correctly. It is Region B. Not Region Free.
on 11 February 2008
Buy this DVD. It is one you will watch again and again. For the cynics the story is predictable, but for the rest of us its how it gets there that matters. The detail is amazing, like one of the villains uses a somewhat rare French Facel Vega motor car. Perfect as a villains car. The romantic interest uses a powerful Motorbike. Perfect. The rest of the DVD and its detail almost brings the very smells of France, Paris and the food to life. I love the story, it plays well in these modern times,with modern villains. It might even get you to be inspired in the kitchen! Pixar and Disney have truly done it again.
on 20 March 2016
I Love this Movie, but can not watch it! :-(
It is NOT "Region Free" as advertised. I have to buy a Multi Region 3D Blu-ray player just to play it, this has turned into a $200+ movie. I am awaiting the player I ordered to come in the mail. Still waiting to watch it... What is really strange, is that the 3D disc is clearly labeled as Regions A, B & C, however the Blu-ray is labeled as Region B only. Neither work in my Region A 3D Blu-ray player. The set is new.
review image review image review image review image review image
on 2 January 2015
This was re-released in 3d at the theaters and the conversion is excellent. This is well worth watching. It's a great family film and the 3d only adds to the fun. IT has the flat 2d version which cannot compare to this version. which has so much depth and the animation just looks much better in 3d. IT's region b and I don't know why America did not get a version of this in 3d. After all it was on at the theaters in 3d. (the second time). This is worth owning in 3d and I would say that if you enjoy this you should grab 'inferno' a classic 3d film that looks outstanding on 3d blu ray and it's on amazon.uk.
on 9 April 2008
My husband & I saw this at the Cinema (without our children) and loved it! The story of Remy, the rat with a genius for cooking is fantastic. It moves along at a cracking pace using all the creative, high energy, visual effects that you would expect from PIXAR but without losing emotional connection. SPOILER Alert: The morality story of how this lowliest, most vilified of creatures has the talent and finds the spirit to climactically topple the opinion of society's most revered judge, the aptly named food critic Anton Ego (superbly voiced by the one and only Peter O'Toole - who undergoes his own journey of transformation) is wonderfully uplifting. As others have mentioned the sight of a kitchen crawling with rats is so uncomfortable, that it also makes you question your own prejudices, and whether you really believe that `Anyone can cook'. There is a wonderful extra on the DVD where Remy and his brother explain the bad press rats have had and how The Plague was not their fault...!

Then of course there is the sensory experience in the film. A lovely depiction of the sights, sounds and smells of Paris, the wonderful way Remy tries to explain flavour and fusion of flavours to his brother depicted by colour and music and not least, the food preparation itself. You can almost taste the soup and of course the fantastic ratatouille that Remy prepares at the end.

By the way a tip if like us, you have children under 10. They loved the DVD with the English-descriptive setting turned on (initially by accident, but hey!). This narrative fills in many of the visual cues that they would otherwise miss.

Lifted - the failed alien abduction was hilarious and is also included on the DVD along with loads of other fascinating extras.

Entertaining, taste-bud and thought-provoking stuff, top marks.
on 1 January 2016
My 8 year old son asked me 4 times to watch this movie. At first I told him, 'this movie is about a RAT that can cook! Let's watch something else'. He replied, 'Mum, it's different, let's watch it'. And so we watched it. At first, we viewed and thought of Ratatouille as a rat. But as the movie went on we saw him as 'someone' with a talent, a dream and a will. Yes, he is a rat that society doesn't like especially in kitchens!! Ha ha ha! But Ratatouille is creative, talented, has a passion and a kind heart. The movie has beautiful meanings and it is one of the best cartoon movies we have watched. I highly recommend it. And yes, as my son said, 'it's different' - watch it!.