Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 July 2012
I've been a fan of Fallen ever since the first book was released, and waiting for the conclusion to the series seemed like an age. I'll be the first to admit that the Fallen books have always been slightly hit and miss, and has attracted a lot of people who love or hate it.
I'm glad to be on the former's side.

As the final book, it's often hard to find the balance between a brilliant plot and a satisfying conclusion to the story as a whole, whilst also answering questions and tying up all loose ends. Lauren Kate did this with Rapture, and she did it wonderfully.

I don't think it can be disputed that Rapture is by far and away the best book of the series. It just felt like Kate had finally found and embraced her style of writing which has been yearning to come out for some time, and the words just flowed.

All the characters felt much more mature, which was a relief to see. At times in previous books (Torment, I'm looking at you), some had been bordering on irritating with their self-centred, teenage angst feelings - especially Luce - but here they were focused on what they had to do and much more involved.

Daniel especially came into his own. His character voice felt much stronger and his and Luce's love felt much more convincing and worth the battle around them.

I was in awe of how the story progressed and was genuinely stunned at some of the plot twists. Nicely done, Kate. What happened felt right, and more than lived up to what we wanted to happen.

But the ending, for me, was bittersweet. (Here I am referring to the very end - namely the last two chapters/epilogue)
It was the right way to go, I know, but I can't help thinking things were a little different.

I was sad to see the series end - in fact I shed a tear as I read the last line - because I really have loved these books, and have invested a lot of time and heart into them. Endings are always hard, because here we have to draw a line and say goodbye to the characters.

So: farewell, Fallen. It's been worth the wait, and it's been one hell of a ride.

Wingspeed.
on 18 January 2017
I have read the other Daniel and Luce books with great enjoyment and hoped the ending of their story would be as good. In many ways I found parts of Luce's back story unfolded in rather a rushed and forced way. It also felt as if there were some holes in the reasoning.

I have tried to minimise the "spoiler" in what I am about to say . If 'The Throne' is such a forgiving and benevolent character as painted in the final scenes, surely torturing Daniel over thousands of years of losing his love every 17 years does not add up as the act of such a being or something they would allow. Blood sacrifice - that also seemed misplaced and not something I could believe the character in question would bring themselves to do.
I also felt there was so much loss for Daniel and Luce this time around...family, all their previous friends and the essence of who and what they were before. The ending for me was more sad than I had hoped it would be and not the satisfying ending one hopes for in a love story.
All that having been said I did enjoy the series as a whole .
on 15 November 2015
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the fallen series and this was by far the best book of the four. I would highly recommend this book to others after truly getting pulled into the lives of these amazing characters and feeling everything portrayed through the writing. The only thing that gets a little tedious is the description of each scene is drawn out, which I found personally a little annoying but others might enjoy so it is just a personal preference I think.

Spoiler alert

The goodbye scene actually brought tears to my eyes. The bond made between these characters even though they were meant to be enemy's really did transcend throughout. I wish there was a way the ending could have kept them together but that is not suggesting I didn't enjoy the finale, it was unexpected to say the least. I wish there was a book which told the story of luce and Daniels lives as mortals. I know there is another book out but I believe it is concentrated on cams story now.

All in all an all round great read, I absolutely loved it!
on 8 October 2013
I love the first book in this series but it is not one of my favourites.

It is a great story and the plot is very interesting and well written but I am not getting into it as much as I wanted to.

I love the first three books but I feel like I have lost interest halfway through the fourth one. I will finish it but it is not one of my favourite series unfortunately. However, that is just my opinion and I recommend this book to fans of heaven and hell and a tragic love story, As I have said it is a good read but not one of MY favourites. It may be different for you.
on 13 November 2015
This book made me cry, laugh, scream out in frustration and smile like a gigantic goof ball throughout the whole book. I have no words that would be able to express how bittersweet this ending is. It's beautiful! You finally find out Lucinda's past, through love, friendship and trajedy and the love between Lucinda and Daniel just absolutely blew me away in this book. This book series is definitely one of my favourites now and the author did amazingly well at the writing style and emotions displayed throughout.

Definitely the greatest thing I've read all year!
on 24 May 2017
Love this book excellent series would recommend, a thumping good read
on 18 July 2017
loved this book
on 19 May 2017
Loved every moment of it, found it hard to put down found it really gripping, would definitely recommend this book.
on 24 April 2017
A great ending to a love story, for whatever age!
on 16 May 2017
I just loved this book I couldn't put it down. It has suspense and love as well as a great story