Customer reviews

The second book in this series left us with a cliff hanger and I couldn't wait to read the 3rd installment...it does not disappoint!!
on 14 July 2017
Another brilliant story could not put it down, off to buy the next installment now. Can't wait to get started.
on 12 July 2017
Loved by my 11 year old son
on 20 January 2013
a great improvement to the previos book but not as good as the first a great continuation of the plot and an all round great read. I reccomend this book to all ages.:-)
on 23 September 2008
I know the books are aimed to older children and teenagers, but I've found them very enjoyable so far and I'm in my late 20s.

The writing is, at times, a little simplistic, but the story itself is so involving that I only really notice when I first start to read. Within a few lines I'm so engrossed in the events and the characters I just don't notice.

This is the 3rd book in the series and continues straight on from the events in Burning Bridge - so much so that if this was an adult series, I'd guess there would only be one much longer book.

It also has a turn of events that surprised me - but made the book all the more thrilling to read. Looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
on 7 February 2009
Yet another wonderful offering in this superb series. I have been hooked from the beginning, as has my son (and others for whom I have given the books as presents) and there are no disappointments here. The story has two distinct areas. On the one hand there is the tale of what happens to Will and Evanlyn after being captured by Erak, the Skandian with hidden depths, and taken to Hallasholm and, on the other, Halt and Horace's adventures in Gallica on the way to rescue Will. There are some truly laugh out loud moments in this and, again, I find myself wishing for a Halt to come riding out of my local forest! Flanagan very neatly ends this on yet another cliffhanger but, as I have already read the next one, I cannot get too irritated here. If you haven't then get both books at the same time so you can go from one to the other.

The writing is, as I keep banging on about, brilliant. I did read one reviewer who said it is a little simplistic but would beg to disagree. Yes, if you're an adult reading it then it will be simpler than, say Lord of the Rings, but for younger people Flanagan's refusal to dumb language down is praiseworthy. It is so rare to find "proper" words used in childrens' books - "tatterdemalion" anyone? Enjoy.
on 5 May 2008
I came across the series ( Rangers Apprentice )by chance whilst looking for something different to read. I'm a big Joe Abercrombie, Gemmel,Lynch and Donaldson but I have read and enjoyed Harry Potter as well.

To my surprise I've become completely amazed by the writing. The author draws you into the characters really well and you do really want to know what happens next.I won't dwell on the stories but the characters of Halt, Will and Horace and their exploits have me hooked and I'm halfway through Book 4 currently and there is no let up in the quality of the storylines.

Try one, every Dad will want to be a Halt, every son a Will or Horace and Mum will love the peace and quiet given by these engrossing tales.
on 8 September 2015
The third volume of this immensely popular fantasy series for the younger (and, umm, slightly older) reader is as much fun, as much action, as much excitement and drama as the preceding two volumes combined. Given the epic, brilliant, overwhelming cliff hanger type nature of the ending to book two, however, ICEBOUND LAND opens up in a way that, it must be said, is relatively timid. Sure, Halt and Co are all worried sick about the plight and welfare of Will and young ’Evanlyn’ as they are hijacked by some of the story’s baddies, and led (presumably) into a life of depraved, mind bending and back breaking slavery, but the two young characters in question are not showing all that much physical or emotional hardship over the matter. At least, not yet, anyway.

At least Ranger Halt is desperate (and brave) enough to use the laws of his Kingdom to force it to his will as he seeks a way to go after his young ward and apprentice and bring him (and his partner) back home to safety.

There has been no further sign of evil in the side of the destroyed Morgarath - but that does not mean another young usurper to his crown won’t stand up and take control of all things twisted and evil in their own doomed attempt to run the world. Nor has there been any more major (bad) characters for the reader to dislike intensely. Margaroth was brilliantly drawn and represented in the first two books, and in some respects it is a shame that he was killed off so early. He was evil, but at least he was fun to read about, and fun to hate.

Naturally readers everywhere hope to see the day that Will and Evanlyn find their freedom and return to loved ones back home. That may well happen by the end of this book - but even if it does, the eternal battle against the forces of evil goes on, and on, and on. And that is a good thing, it must be said. Mr Flanagan bas crafted a fantasy tale so deep, so enriching, so fulfilling and so much fun to immerse yourself in, that you simply don’t want it to stop.

Another flaw I can think of is the lack of magic in the story. No wizards, no witches, no warlocks have dared to show their face on centre stage of this compelling set of adventures.

But that is not to say they won’t. I for one hope that it is not too long before magic becomes a character in the story in its own right. But until it does, sharing the journey with the fine, impeccable, innocent, true, honest characters that John Flanagan has gifted the world with so far, will do me just fine.

Four stars for this beauty.

BFN Greggorio!
Following on from the events of the previous title this book takes the reader into the lands of Skandia where Will and Evanlyn struggle to survive under the yolk of the warriors who captured them in the previous novel. It's a title that deals with friendship, of honour and of course courage whilst also delving into darker area's due to some of the events within being quite harrowing.

It is a story that adds more layers to the characters allowing them to form greater bonds and alliances as well as allowing the reader to get the adventure that they craved from the others in the series. Add to this the authors great sense of pace and it's a series that I really can't put down. The only thing I would say about this is that I feel that the series has to be read in order otherwise the reader will have some of the previous books spoilt when they allude to previous events within.
on 13 May 2008
Well its a great book for younger adults and even adults too. The book continues the series and does so in good style.
The characters are well rounded, not the invincible characters you see everyday and the baddies are bad which is a nice change.
In this book we see Will in a different light not the upcoming ranger he was in the last two books (that's all I'll say I wont ruin it for you).

My only issue is the way the story feels rushed towards the end which is a shame since there its a good read.

Another problem to note (not related to this book in particular) is that once hooked on the series there is a long wait for the next books to be published (there are 7 in the series but only 3 available in the UK).