Customer reviews

Rainbow Six
Format: Audio Download|Change

on 28 June 2017
Great value for money book is in good condition thanks
on 7 March 2017
Another good read
on 12 March 2017
Another great read from Clancy
on 11 May 2017
Excellent
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 August 2006
This is the book which marked the end of my love story with Tom Clancy's works. It began by fire and passion with "The hunt for Red October" and "Red storm rising" and did great until "The sum of all the fears", which I still consider one of the greatest techno thrillers ever. Then came the not so good "Debt of honor" and "Executive orders" - and finally that one...

What can I say? The end of Cold War and the disappearance of USSR were a terrible thing for Tom Clancy, because they deprived him of a really big bad enemy. I liked his first books because they showed the confrontation between the good guys (West) against bad guys (Communism and its allies) without nuance, without soul searching and I believe it was the right way to perceive the Cold War. West was not (and is not) perfect but Communism was (and still is) evil to the bone. Period.

In this book Clancy does mostly the same thing. He describes the deadly menace against all humanity of another evil ideology, a kind of New Age, neo-pagan, vegan, viscerally anti-human, terminally violent and EXTREMELY radical environmentalism - and on the dangers of this kind of extremism I agree with him fully. And I am really pleased that those people will have at one moment to meet Mr Clark, Ding Chavez and some of their pals in a dark street (well, metaphorically speaking...). But can it compare to the Soviet threat? Definitely not. The major suspense is gone and Elvis left the building...

Because of this lack of credible bad guys I did not like this book much, but I still give it three stars for following reasons: first, there are still some good moments, second, I like the ideology of this book, three, it is always a pleasure to follow Mr Clark's adventures and four - the next Clancy's book , "Bear and the dragon" is much much worse and in comparison this one is still readable...

To resume the things - I think this book can appeal only and exclusively to the most hardened and most faithful of Tom Clancy's fans. For a time I thought I was one of those - but after reading this book I realized that I am not hard enough.
on 23 July 2017
Verbose and slow-moving. Plot is hysterical and silly. The only book I brought with me on a trip, couldn't have finished it any other way. My first and definitely last Clancy novel.
on 17 October 2017
Quite simply one of the best books I have ever read!
on 6 December 1998
Being a fan of Clancy I felt this book lost a great deal by being stretched out artificially I thought. I don't think we really needed three adventures to set up what the unit was all about.I think we got the message early on. The one improved feature I rejoiced in from previous Clancy books was less techno babble and meaningless - to we Brits - acronyms. Nevertheless an enjoyable read if you glide over the parts which have little bearing on the storyline.
on 17 May 1999
This book show that Clancy still know how to shage a war.On body can descride an attack in such an intensive way. It keep you read on until the last page. However, to get to the better helf you must endrue the boring frist helf. If you can survive it, you will be reward with the best writing about low intensity warfare. The subject matter is dispointing. A lot of people has written about terrorism. I hope Mr.Clancy choose a theme that is unique & insightful as before
on 1 March 2002
While Tom Clancy may be best known for his Jack Ryan series of novels, he has shown that he can easily translate his skills over to a more action-orientated novel. For some, a Jack Ryan novel may be a little heavy in detail sometimes but the action is always brilliantly written. With Rainbow Six, we are given further insight into the characters of John Clark and Domingo Chavez, who will be familiar to readers of Clancy as being Jack Ryan's 'action men' in the CIA. With this new anti-terroist team 'Rainbow' we have an international team of men all the best within their field. British, Germans and Americans altogether. While there is the main plot-line running in the background (now even more frightening given recent events), 'Rainbow' are assigned other missions - and with these the pace and description is sheer genius. The incident at the Spanish theme park is fantastic - totally against the norm, yet shows the human nature of the characters we are presented with. While I am a great fan of the Jack Ryan series, I would dearly love to read another Rainbow Six novel. Are you listenning Mr. Clancy?!