on 6 January 2007
[...] In fact if you didn't have the option to use the D-pad I would have given this game one star.
The whole stylus idea i.e using the pen to play your strokes just doesn't work, especially when you try the game on the harder settings. So if you are thinking of buying the game and you want to enjoy it you're best sticking to the D-pad. This is where the game really comes into it's own.
There is a comprehensive career mode, but on the down side there are no familar faces apart from Rafa. The graphics aren't to bad and the gameplay using the D-pad works well. So if you were a bit let down by Top Spin 2 then this is the game for you.
The controls are nice and simple: A for Stroke shot, X to lob, B for top spin and Y for the special shots. The more you hold the button down the more power you'll add to your shot.
There is a degree of customisation, things to buy with your tournament winnings rackets etc., a bit like in Virtua Tennis but nothing to really blow you away though.
All in all this is a decent little game if you are looking for a tennis game to play on the DS. Maybe not a must buy for everyone but worth ago if you are suffering from Wii elbow.
on 4 March 2008
I literally only got this game yesterday, it's the first time I've ever played a video game and I'm finding it really good. You can set the options to play using either the stylus or buttons, the Tennis School tutorial will adjust accordingly. Personally I'm using the stylus and it's easy now I've got the hang of it. The tutorial takes you through various different moves and shots and lets you practice before you start playing for real.
I'm playing as Rafa in Career Mode and have so far won three tournaments (Stockholm, Detroit and New York). I'm replaying them each several times to gain extra credits to boost my skills before I tackle Athens, because as an earlier reviewer noted, there is a significant step up in difficulty along with the prize money. 50 credits will add a slice to your skill bar in one of five key areas which you develop throughout the game. As well as credits, you also earn prize money which you can spend on new kit for Rafa to make sure he's always fashionably dressed for each tournament. I've not been able to afford a new racquet yet, but those can be changed too if you have the money.
As I say, I'm in the early stages of playing this game, but I'm having a lot of fun and found it very difficult to put my DS down last night! It's easy to get started and you can go back and practice in the Tennis School any time to refresh yourself on how to do which shots. As a novice gamer (and a big Rafael Nadal fan), I would really recommend this game to anyone.
on 13 May 2009
once u get to grips with this game u will find it really enjoyable. there is a great tutorial. and it is great that u can use the stylus, it feels like u are really wielding a tennis racket. all in all a great game
on 5 November 2014
Excellent - received as promised in good condition
on 30 September 2015
Ideal, no complaints
on 14 April 2007
I bought this on the strength of the other reviews and was sorely disappointed. Top Spin 2 is far better. This game has poor graphics and is too easy. It is unrealistic and I didn't see the point of having 2 screens. Don't bother
on 14 November 2013
I found this tennis game absolutely awful, it does not compare with the tennis games you can buy for the psp. The controls don't work properly a total waste of money.
on 2 September 2007
rafa nadal equals new super mario bros.And has better graphics than you may have heard!!!
on 21 December 2006
This game is fab the graphics are not perfect but it really feals like you are playing a game of tennis! I think the use of the DS stylus is a fab idea as well as a new one. This game is really satisfying and you could never get board of it!!!