Racial Theories: Second Edition Paperback – 20 Dec 2010
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From reviews of the first edition:
"The fascination of this book and subject lies in the complexities and studied ambiguities of Banton's taxonomy (of five racial theories)...I enjoyed this basic feature of the book. It taught me something about the uses of taxonomic ordering. It made me think about the subtle interactions of our ordering minds and nature's patterns. It provided an active metacommentary upon an important aspect of scientific history." Stephen Jay Gould, Nature
"The authority Banton brings to his subject is beyond dispute; he is admirably fair when examining the ideas of all protagonists, and he writes clearly, concisely, and engagingly. At once an insightful study in intellectual history and an exemplary analysis of sociological theory building." W.P. Nye, Choice
"Banton has written an excellent book. He traces the history of thinking on race and the evolution of the discipline of race or ethnic relations with considerable erudition and skill. His discussion of the different theories is invariably fair and perceptive, and clears up a good deal of muddle." Bhikhu Parekh, New Society
This thoroughly revised and updated edition of Michael Banton's classic book reviews historical theories of race and the subsequent struggles to supersede them. It is essential reading for anyone wanting to unravel the confusions in contemporary debates about racial and ethnic conflict.See all Product Description
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Academic Sociology
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Anthropology > Social & Cultural
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Discrimination & Racism
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Multicultural Studies
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Sociology